Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms in upper midwest  (Read 1240 times)

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
swarms in upper midwest
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:19 pm »
Just out of curiosity...

Anybody out here in the midwest seen any swarms yet?

Anybody using swarm traps in the midwest- past/ present with any luck??

Just wondering...
I have a swarm trap up, I know it is early in the season...but to be honest I have never seen a swarm of bees (other than in a bee yard or near by a bee yard) here in WI.. EVER...I'm sure there must be some feral bees around, just wondering if it is less than in the south, and what everyone else's experiences have been.

One more question, while I'm on the topic...How far away from the original hive can a swarm fly?

Thanks & have a great day!  ;)
Sleep is overrated!

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
Re: swarms in upper midwest
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »
it is a little early for any swarms up here in gods coutry.  they are hard to find but there a still a few ferel colonys around.  the end of may and into june is prime swarm season up here. 

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
Buddy of mine (also on this forum gguidester) just had a swarm in SE WI this past Sat..  Only moved about 40 feet from hive he presumes it swarmed from (one of his own).  He was able to capture it and reinstalled in new hive.  He just happened to be putting a hive out in case he ran into a swarm and lo and behold on his way back from the apiary he finds a good 6 pounder in a low tree.  I think they are staying put for now.

I think one of my hives is near on ready to swarm.  Busting population, swarm cells all over.

Had already taken some brood frames out to put in some blank frames to make some room and to strengthen another hive (which I now think has a failing queen).  reversed hive bodies and now just added a super.  But I am worried they are going to swarm soon anyway.  Got a little behind on this one.

Also SE WI.

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:08 pm »
I live in SE Wisc. and caught my own swarm on Sat.  So far it seems like its going be successfull.  I am near Lake Geneva, where are you? ;)
Sorry Tandem, missed your post.  I'm the one he was talking about.  So far so good!