Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wake up Time  (Read 3148 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Wake up Time
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:06 pm »
What time do your bees get up and get going in the morning?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wake up Time
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:10:20 pm »
when it gets warm  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:25:06 pm »
Mine seem to get going around 10:30am.... I thought they'd be up and about before that but they seem to be late risers like me :) 

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:57 am »
When it was cooler here the ones with sbb left earlier than those with solid bottom boards (ran out of sbb's).  Definitely need to get more sbb's!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:17 am »
Here usually by 7:30-0800 this time of year.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:38:32 am »
It's been pretty cool at night (lower 50s) here in NC for the past couple of weeks so my bees are a little lazy about getting out of bed!  I'm glad that I left my entrance reducer on the small opening.  And I removed the top cover vent sticks to try to button the hive up a bit as well.  With highs in the 70s during the day, they are not having any problems with heat (yet).  However, they usually start buzzing by 7:00 or 7:30 in the am.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:42:26 am »
Mine seem to come out around 9am, give or take a bit, but with the cold and the rain last week, its later on in the day. They won't come out in the rain it seems, and they do wait for warmer times of the day, one time they didn't come out till afternoon, but went pretty wild for a few hours.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:52:00 am »
It's weird but my bees seem to have fun in the rain!  This past weekend we had a thunderstorm blow up and it was raining hard.........but the bees were just hanging out on the "front porch" like they were taking a bath.  At least until the wind started blowing really hard!  But during the entire weather ordeal, at least 2-3 bees were at the hive entrance!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:37 am »
Mine are in & out about 7:40 AM.... Even though at this time the temp in my yard is about 50 F.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:28:02 am »
Several of my hives get going right after daylight, some a little later .

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Amanda

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:44:55 am »
I checked mine this morning at 7:00, and there were bees going in and out.  But I only hived them yesterday, so I'm not sure what they'll do when they get settled in.
~Amanda

Offline mairghead

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:29:20 pm »
Mine are up already at 6:30 AM when I check them.  It never occured to me they might be sleeping during the night, they always seem busy.  Interesting.

Jackie

Offline Rex

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:45 pm »
I check on them at around 8am and see a few early foragers going in/out...hives don't really start getting active until 10am or so when the sun starts coming over the trees and the temp gets up (still gets down around 50F at night here).

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
I think mine are partying late because they don't get going until 9:30 or 10:00.  A few early risers are out around 8:30 or 9:00 but they don't do much then.