Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: riding the river  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
riding the river
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

took my mare down to the river today.  heck of a haul in and out of there, but worth it.  not to hot, a little overcast, and just about perfect.  great way to settle the mind.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: riding the river
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »
that looks like a great place to ride, just relax and let your mind take a breather. I think it is nice to just be in a quiet place and just listen to all of the sounds of nature.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:53 am »
That indeed looks like a wonderful place to lose yourself.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:10 am »
it's an awesome ride.  starts out really mild, then hits switchbacks down into the river canyon.  getting down is almost as hard as getting back up.  it can be a little scary if you don't have a good stomach and good horse!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:52 am »
Sandy River?  That sounds like a blast Kathy!  It's cooled off nicely (after the 90°s) eh?  Does your mare like to get in the river?

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »
it is.  it's a part of oxbow, but not the part that most know.  she'll go into anything.  i don't take her into the river anymore because twice she sank  in soft sand out there.  it's just to dangerous.  + that river is really cold and fast!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:38:12 pm »
I was thinking about that danger (vs fun!) factor when I posted.  I'm sure it's still very cold with the snow melt-off.  & didn't that river used to be called (by Lewis & Clarke) the "quicksand river"?  hahaha  doesn't sound too safe does it?  Still, the image of riding a horse into a river after a strenuous trek to cool off sure sounds enticing.  8-)

I've not been there on foot but I flew over quite a bit of the Sandy River in a light-sport plane not long ago.  I was surprised at how deep the canyon was.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:26:18 pm »
didn't that river used to be called (by Lewis & Clarke) the "quicksand river

i didn't know that, but i looked it up and sure enough.  thanks for the info.  maybe i should research my rides a little more.  going up to camp at timothy in a couple of weeks.  guess i'll look that up...although i have never run into trouble there...except a bear once.

anything