Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 2666 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:27:59 pm »
Nice looking R.I. reds! It takes about 5 mo.s from hatching for them to start laying...looks like yours are close. You'll have brown eggs coming out of your ears before you know it!
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »
Congrats on becoming a chicken farmer. :-D
Rhode Island Reds are a good breed to keep.
I have some myself, very reliable and even tempered. Not flighty and skittish like some.
I have one that can be a bossy little thing, they are like a bunch of old ladies.
If they were hatched two months ago then you should be getting eggs sometime in December or January but since you say you got them two months ago maybe they were alread a couple of months old.
Remember that the shorter days of winter also affects their laying, they need around 14 hours of daylight to keep laying well so sometimes a pullet will not start laying in the dead of winter and wait til spring.
Rhode Island reds are a hearty breed that winters well so you will probably be all set.
You will know when they are about to start laying by the color of their comb and if they start squawting for you when you pet them.
Their combs and wattles will get bright bright red when they are mature enough to lay and if you lean down to pet them and they crouch they will usually start laying in a week or two.

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »
They were hatched around Easter this year

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:49:47 pm »
Then you should be getting eggs pretty soon, keep an eye on the color of their combs.

anything