Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ISP conspiracy theory ??  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
ISP conspiracy theory ??
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:10:27 am »
I have DSL.  it's all i can get for high speed in my area and it's not that great....but better than dial up

anyway...had a very old (10 years) modem that started acting up.  called the ISP to ask about a replacement.  was told that they now "rent" modems for 6.95 a month.  told them no thanks and bought my own..  woman told me that this was fine but they wouldn't service it...which made me laugh!

my new modem was fine for about a month.  then service started dropping and i'd have to ping the ISP to reconnect.  the ping is the key to my conspiracy question, i think.
about the same time, my neighbor started having trouble with his service and called them out.  they installed one of the rental modems for him.  his service is now 100%

so....do you think the ISP is/could be identifying, by ping or code, those modems that are not their own and interfering with service....either as a security measure or a (god forbid) sales measure?  

only three of us on this road have their service and the other two have the company modem.  it also seems to happen at around the same time every day, but this is impression rather than fact as i have not logged it.  i'll keep better track from now on.

if i were having to do reboots of the modem, i'd figure i had a bad modem, but the fact that i can ping them and re-establish connection....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: ISP conspiracy theory ??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:27 am »
Kathy,
I used to have Direct TV. They did the same thing. They would send out a signal that would lock up there old modems. Had to push reset to restore it. I did not want to renew the contract so we did not get the new box. I was waiting for Uverse to be installed in our neighborhood. They went from once a month to once a week to every couple of days to every day. Due to the delay for the Uverse, I had to get the new box. I refused the contract extension and they still sent the new box.
They can and due cause that problem. Who is your carrier?
Let me know, if it is my company I can check into it and possibly help.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:48 pm »
thanks for the info.  i'll pm you the name of the company.  probably not much i can do about it, but wanted opinions on whether or not i was out to lunch with my suspicions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:55 pm »
You've probably got a tiger by the tail Kathy.  Hang on tight.!!!
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
After much thought, I believe that they are out to get you Kathy.   Have you been seeing a lot of work men hanging on power poles, work vans parked along roads around you, or black helicopters?                   :evil:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:22:10 pm »
Geoff, you know i live for that ride!!

AllenF, there are no secrets here.  they are welcome to hear all that i say and watch all that i do....and they probably do!  :evil:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:24:12 pm »
 :-D

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:55 am »
Not sure what to tell you, I have AT&T, they also rent out modems.  When I was trying to connect, the service guy had the nerve to tell me that he has no clue how to have my router + modem connected since it wasnt AT&T model.  I laughed at him for a good minute, told him -" Are you honestly trying to tell me that this is how far your skill level goes?", then I said "Ok, I will make it easier on you, lets imagine that my modem is ATT modem, and walk me through the setup same as if I had your modem."  Obviously that is where I got him, since they are all largely the same when it comes to software.  For you, I would do the same.  Considering that server connection has nothing to do with hardware (unless modem gone bad), they really have no right to refuse your service call.  After all you are paying for Internet connection, and that is what you are having trouble with.   

Is there a way for you to get a satellite ISP? 

PS: Stand your ground dont let them bull-crap you   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:46 am »
satellite is way expensive.  it's not really a service issue.  i have no problem setting up and servicing my equipment.

i just found it interesting that the two of us without the company modems began to have dropped service and when the other person changed to the rental modem, he was fine.  that's what made me wonder if they were identifying non company  modems for one reason or another and breaking service.  service is resumed as soon as i ping them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:34:17 am by kathyp »

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:08 am »
satellite is way expensive.  it's not really a service issue.  i have problem setting up and servicing my equipment.

i just found it interesting that the two of us without the company modems began to have dropped service and when the other person changed to the rental modem, he was fine.  that's what made me wonder if they were identifying non company  modems for one reason or another and breaking service.  service is resumed as soon as i ping them.

Its not necessarily the ISP that is doing that.  ISP main business is providing Internet, with that said, if you are having problems with the service, you should complain to them.  Talk to their manager, and get to their heads that you are under no such obligation to buy or rent their modems.  HOWEVER, they are under contractual obligation, to provide a service for you, since you are paying for the service.  you are the customer regardless of the modem model or brand name, make them understand that, and get them to straighten out your connection, they are obligated to do so.

Best wishes and good luck