Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ordering bees  (Read 4889 times)

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
ordering bees
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:25:12 pm »
its that time ordering equiptment for new beekeepers and old beekeepers.maybe stop think out what your plans are. size of box and how many hives. for people getting up in age 8 frame hives are really good. I use them myself. the 10 frame hives seem lot heavy and hard on back/ don't build up as well. bees seem to build vertically better like a tree. next thing if you want a deep box with medium or shallow. I would think about going all mediums 1 size box all the way 1 size frame less equipment to buy. always buy least 2 complete hives. order bees early if possible.====good luck
Don

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: ordering bees
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:31 pm »
I have ordered bees already. The bees I ordered are the small bees and the people I ordered from suggested the 8 frame mediums also for the same reasons you mentioned. They also said I should use the essential oils and that is why I have been reading about essential oils and wanting others opinions before I jump in.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »
I didnt know the fat beeman is a member here, I feel honored being on the same forum

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »
Hey Sterling,

If you got your bees from Hickman county TN, good chance you got Bees from the fat/beeman line.  I cannot say enough good about these bees, and they love 8 frame mediums, so do I.

Best of luck,

Bryn

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »
Hey Sterling,

If you got your bees from Hickman county TN, good chance you got Bees from the fat/beeman line.  I cannot say enough good about these bees, and they love 8 frame mediums, so do I.

Best of luck,

Bryn
Hickman Cty is where they are coming from. Wolf Creek Apiaries. Thanks for the info on the fat/beeman line. I'm looking foward to gettin em thats makes it even better.
 I see you are from Columbia. Hello, nice to meet you.

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »
hello
 as you can see by other post I don't advertise at all its word of mouth. I am only here to give some free advice. there's loads of suppliers on this board. just do your home work on your supplier. we all have to work together here and don't argue about any ol'e thing.
Don

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »
  words to grow by- :) thanks DON

Offline Dexterjc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »
Done and done. I am so excited to start my first two hives started.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:14:41 pm »
where is the fatmans website?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:35:47 pm »
And here is his youtube stuff.  http://www.youtube.com/user/FatBeeMan

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:41 pm »
Morning Sterling,

You don't drive a very fast car do you?

Anyway.  Good to hear you have some of John Seaborn bees.  I saw John yesterday at the Columbia Bee Keepers meeting.  Have ordered 10 packages from him, and five from his daughter, who is also from Hickman county.  Same bees basically.  Also I don't know the connection, and don't need to, but John and fat/beeman are connected some how, maybe at the hip  :-D.  Anyway you should have some fun.  Maybe you already know, but you will need 4.9 foundation.  I know of 4 hives down in Lawrence county that belong to Moses Zook, an Amish gentleman, who also supplies wooden ware, got 12G/hive from his Wolf Creek Bees.

Bryn

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »
Don, I really enjoyed those youtube pieces. thankyou
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
He has really gentle bees from what i can see or he just takes the stings well  :-D

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:09:51 pm »
Morning Sterling,

You don't drive a very fast car do you?

Anyway.  Good to hear you have some of John Seaborn bees.  I saw John yesterday at the Columbia Bee Keepers meeting.  Have ordered 10 packages from him, and five from his daughter, who is also from Hickman county.  Same bees basically.  Also I don't know the connection, and don't need to, but John and fat/beeman are connected some how, maybe at the hip  :-D.  Anyway you should have some fun.  Maybe you already know, but you will need 4.9 foundation.  I know of 4 hives down in Lawrence county that belong to Moses Zook, an Amish gentleman, who also supplies wooden ware, got 12G/hive from his Wolf Creek Bees.

Bryn
Not the same Sterlin, I drive an old slow truck. I have been around long enough that I use to watch that Sterlin's dad race at Nashville Speedway. I think his no. was No 7. :-D
I don't have any of his bees yet but have 4 package ordered. The reason I contected him was because I wanted the 4.9 bees. I met a couple guys a the NABA metting in DEC. that had bought some bees last spring from the Seaborns and had a good year with them last year. And I have met Mose Zook also and have bought some of his woodenware. I have been getting it ready for spring during this cold winter we are having. I currently have 5 colonies that are the bigger bees and plan on slowly regressing them to 4.9. I have been hanging around this site for a while and gathering as much information as I can on that subject.

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 09:47:10 am »
I'm in the process of relocating to Decatur County, TN 38329 (right below Jackson) Anyone have info on suppliers in that area?? or know of the closest?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 10:26:00 am »
Are you looking for equipment, packages, or nucs?

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:30 am »
 I will have packages on mar.18-19rh

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »
I'm looking or packages. 

anything