Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: can I use langs horizontally  (Read 2904 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
can I use langs horizontally
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:08:56 am »
I live in QLD and by law I have to have frames in my hive. I have no building skills and was thinking of using 2 or 3 lang bodies joined horizontally, with frames, carpet on top then a roof for each section. The reason i want to go horizontal is ease of checking for honey and brood, no lifting, no bumping.  BUT I have 2 pro beek friends who keep telling me it won't work, but no reasons. I would love some advice.  Would I need to remove side walls completely or just cut out a section so the bees could access each box.    Our climate is hot and humid except for the odd day. thanks

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: can I use langs horizontally
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:51 am »
tina,

Are you sure the law requires "frames" and not just removable comb for inspection?

If I read your comments, your asking about what many call a "trench" style hive. This work great, as long as the beekeeper adapts the management of the hive to horizontal movement of the bees. (Like bees going to one side in winter and starving away from honey stores, etc.)

I cut my sides off completely. While I have had bees work boxes below and above an inner cover utilizing nothing more than the hole, I'm pretty sure the bees would of been better off with the whole inner cover removed from the middle of the hive. Same with removing the entire sides of boxes to make up the trench hive.

Here is some information....

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/uniquebeekeeping.html

Good luck.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:43:51 am »
Thanks.  I was worried they wouldn't like tunnels joining their boxes. Yes in Qld you have to have FRAMES in your hive. How many boxes would you use 2 or 3?  We don't have any winters but do have nectar flows all year on and off.  By using lang boxes its easy and probably cheaper than buying wood here.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:51:24 am »
Two 10 frame boxes with the sides removed actually gives you room for 21 frames. More than enough for your area, if using deeps.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:16:51 am »
I don't recommend "tunnels" but a longer box with langstroth frames works fine.  I have quite a few.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:35:46 am »
Thanks and thanks you two have given me confidence.  I had already viewed your website Michael .LOVELY