Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Money saving advice  (Read 4655 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Money saving advice
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:25 pm »
I have always done most of the cooking at home. At one time I really wanted to go to chef school. But I settled for being creative at home with various dishes.

Most of the time, the evening meal was your traditional meat, pasta, veggies, salad, bread, etc. Always a hot, sit down meal.

And while we never had big breakfasts in the morning due to varying schedules, I always tried to have at least one big breakfast each week. Usually on a Saturday or Sunday, I would cook up scrambled eggs. homefries, cheese, etc.

But since we got chickens this past spring, we now have an abundance of eggs. For several weeks now, once every week, I cook up the homefries, scrambled eggs and everything for the evening meal. My kids love this meal, especially with syrup. I prefer ketchup. ;)

I was thinking today, and realized that this evening meal, when compared to the usually full array of cooking I usually do, saves a huge amount off the food bill. Instead of the meat and the other items for dinner, I can make a full pan of scrambled eggs and potatoes for 3-4 dollars. Feeding five family members, this is like 75 cents each.

Not that we don't have money, we do. But the idea of another saved dollar for my kids college account or the retirement savings really motivates me.

Not sure how many others look at little things like this. But I thought I would pass it along. A dozen eggs and a few pounds of potatoes goes a long way, and is a cheap meal. And nutritious also.

Anyone else have any meals they like for the same reasons?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Money saving advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:59 pm »
Big pot of lima beans with ham hocks. Homemade soup or fish chowder with grilled cheese samichs! French toast with orange blossum honey.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:33 pm »
I just bought a large number of 8 lb. cans of fully cooked ground beef.
$1.00 per can. I think that will save me quite a few bucks.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »
I needed a Jersey bull to service my cow this summer.  Bought a young one and after he had done his job, we had him processed.  Sold off all of the steaks and kept the hamburger and stew meat for the family.  With a chest freezer, we now have "free" beef for the next 6 to 12 months.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:13:08 pm »
I needed a Jersey bull to service my cow this summer.  Bought a young one and after he had done his job, we had him processed.  Sold off all of the steaks and kept the hamburger and stew meat for the family.  With a chest freezer, we now have "free" beef for the next 6 to 12 months.

Ok, so I start with a cow, right?   :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »
No, you get a cow now. You started with the bull years ago.  :lau: :lau: :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:54:31 pm »
 :lau:

But really, look into turnip greens and corn bread.  All them greens are good for you.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 02:52:10 am »
Ah for a good summer salad; Mustard greens, lambs quarter, sorrel, and plantain (the weed aka Indian Lettuce), with maybe some nasty-urshums thrown in make for a nice mixed salad.
But having a garden sure can reduce the food bill well into and maybe all the way through the winnter if a little canning is done.
My hope next year is to grow most of the food we eat ourselves.  Garden for the veggies, Orchard for the fruit, and between the chickens, turkeys, rabbits, pigeons and sheep I should be able to produce enough food for the wife and I.  Now if the oldest daughter and her 4 kids would move out I would really be saving money on food.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:39:58 am »

I had to read that twice....but I got it...  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:30:32 am »

Now that was funny my friend.

Offline cordovan