Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dadant 4.9 Wired Wax Foundation  (Read 2316 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Dadant 4.9 Wired Wax Foundation
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:11:21 pm »
Okie doke, so I assembled around 20 frames with this foundation now. I am guessing that this stuff is only for brood?  I will only be placing them in the brood boxes right? 

The honey supers get foundationless?  How does that sound?  Am I catching on?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Dadant 4.9 Wired Wax Foundation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »
Okie doke, so I assembled around 20 frames with this foundation now. I am guessing that this stuff is only for brood?  I will only be placing them in the brood boxes right? 

The honey supers get foundationless?  How does that sound?  Am I catching on?

It will function better for brood but it does not have to be exclusive. The Permacomb is 5.0 I use it for both. The bees simply cocoon the brood cells down.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:33:55 pm »
I had the same plan as DayValley for my package of Italian that are on their way from KY.  What do you you mean cocoon down? I have HSC coming in for the the brood boxes and intended to use them to regress the package quickly and then transition starter stripped frmaes in the middle of the brood box whenever possbile.  I, too, had intended to use foundationless or starter stripped frames in the honey supers.  Isn't this what we are supposed to do to regress to natural cell size?
Brian

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:34:08 pm »
>I am guessing that this stuff is only for brood?

Brood or supers you intend to extract.

>The honey supers get foundationless?  How does that sound?

That will work fine.  With foundationless you can do cut comb, crush and strain, or extract.  With wired wax you can only extract easily.  Crush and strain is a bit tricky with wire because of the wires.  Extracting, however, works fine.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything