Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive doctor Base  (Read 2324 times)

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
Hive doctor Base
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:27:54 am »
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has used the Hive Doctor Base.
What do you think of it? Just looking at purchasing all my set up and was wondering if this base is worth using, it certainly looks good to me.
Regards
Jason

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hive doctor Base
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:18:09 am »
Never heard of, or seen, the thing until now.  Looks like a pretty cool bottom board and don’t see anything really wrong with it.  It looks like this is a New Zealand invention?  My only complaint would be the apparent inability to completely shut off the bottom screen in the winter.  We have cold winters where I am.  I don’t believe in a home with a open floor in the middle of winter.  Other beeks will of course disagree.  In more mild climates, I wouldn’t worry about it.       

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:03:02 am »
Jason

I have bought one to try it out, but that wont be until the end of August early September. It does come with one tray which slides underneath but you can purchase additional trays and by using three you practically shut off the bottom screen. Also there is no landing board but in response to this they have now made one from corflute which fits into the front but you would need to ask for it at the time of purchase.

Kevin

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:25:41 am »
Well that was disapointing.

After one year of using two Hive Doctor Base I have binned both of them.
Basically the problems I found - The back tray is extreemly difficult to use due to being located behind the back legs.
The trap area is too big, it basically became a big pollen trap not to mention the bees also could get through the trap so the trays would be full off beetles, pollen and bees. In fact the "beetle" gaps in the base distorted and opened up so the underside of the board as the main entry/exit point instead of the front entry with the trays off.
Also the plastic clips that hold the trays up break way too easily.
So for anyone considering purchasing one, unless they change the design... I wouldn't bother  :(
Lucky for the AJ beetle traps that keep filling up with beetles.

Now to make myself a new base.

anything