Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lumber dimensions  (Read 6068 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
lumber dimensions
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:07:33 pm »
i went to both Lowes and HD today looking for some 1x lumber to build deeps with. i expected 1x10's to be 9 1/2's but they turned out to be barely over 9. so i guess the only choice is to use 1x12's. it seems like you can buy precut hive bodies for about the same as it costs for just the lumber to build one unless you can find the lumber on sale somewhere. i haven't had much luck with sawmills around here.
so when did 1x10's become 1x9's?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: lumber dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:01:11 am »
Sounds like another arguement to do all mediums.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:25 am »
Or use a finger joint.   I do that with my scraps.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:01:37 am »
>1x10's become 1x9's?

They shrunk to 9 1/4" since the 70's at least.  You need 9 5/8".  That's a big part of how the supply places can beat your cost of making them.  They own the sawmill and cut the boards the right width to start with.

Yes, much less waste making mediums from one by eights than deeps from one by twelves.  For nucs with bottoms attached or long hives with bottoms attached you can use the one by eights without ripping them at all and just put the bottom on.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
did anyone else see the article in the july '07 Bee Culture by Peter Sieling in which he recommends 9 3/8 to 9 1/2 deeps?
if i wanted to go all mediums how would I split out of a deep? I am trying real hard not to buy any more packages.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:16:10 pm »
I  buy 1x12's also for deeps, the scrap I use to make bottom board rails, entrance reducers, flanges around tops, ect. and what ever I could use it for!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:12:43 pm »
i went to a different lowes today and found some low grade 1x12's for a more reasonable price. after picking through the pile i found enough to make my day. and some deeps. it should end up costing about $8 each. no...my time isn't worth anything.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:55:40 pm »
no...my time isn't worth anything.

:)

But the satisfaction of building your own equipment is ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jeffzhear

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:47 pm »
i went to a different lowes today and found some low grade 1x12's for a more reasonable price. after picking through the pile i found enough to make my day. and some deeps. it should end up costing about $8 each. no...my time isn't worth anything.

I crawl through the lower ($8) grade of 1x12's at lowes bi-weekly and the quality pretty bad....I have been lucky on occasion and found a few boards that were ok...

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:05 pm »
when i picked through the boards i accepted those with loose knots or other faults near the edges since i was going to rip off the edges anyway. it has turned out well and i've been able to use those ripped edges when building the SBB and the inner cover.

Offline T-Bone 369

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 11:02:44 pm »
I realize this sounds counterintuitive but the big box yards like Lowes and HD often do not have the best prices on lumber.  They have a great selection and prices on other things but for lumber we very seldom buy for work at the BB's.  I guess the thinking is that the weekend DIY guys want to make one stop and be done - so they can charge "premium" price for their lumber.  Go figure.
Old enough to know better
Young enough not to care

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 06:05:21 am »
I work at a Lowes and we cull the lumber just before a new shipment.
At our store you will find a blue cart outside the contractor's entrance with a fixed price for the whole cart.
Granted, you may have to buy something you don't need, (store it if you have room - it will come in handy) but you will never get a better price on the lumber you do need provided it is there.

Don't be afraid to ask a manger for a discount on some poor quality wood.
10% is pretty average for split, warped, or loose/missing knots.

Now if they'd only cull some of that cedar.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:42 pm »
thanks for the tips tai. i will look to see if my lowes has it. there's 2 lowes that are pretty much the same distance from me and only one of them had those cheaper 1x12's.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:06 am »
Check with local saw mills. Most sell paint grade lumber that is kiln dried and they will plane it and rip to to width for a very small fee. I deal with the Amish saw mills here in Pa and have found it to be cheaper then the lumber yard.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees