Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hot hive  (Read 1196 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
hot hive
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »
checked 3 hives this morning. these are mn hygienic & have been really calm & gentle. i had added a 2nd box on one of them 3 days ago. i did not see the queen in that hive & they had made 8 new queen cells. my plan was to check feeders today. 1st 2 hives were calm. the 3rd hive with the queen cells was in full scale attack mode. my gloves looked like full pin cussions. oddly, except for the ones that were on me they did not pursue me when left. I'm guessing that that hive is now queenless.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: hot hive
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »
If they have queen cells they do not consider their selves queen-less. :) d2

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »
hmmmm, well they sure were cranky

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »
I have a new hive that was started on the 11 of May. Grew to 2 mediums, went to check it this morning to see if I might get a nuc from it. It has been a very gentle hive, till this morning. Once on the hand as soon as I opened it. Don't know if I didn't smoke it enough or what. I ended up taking the top box and putting it on another bottom board. left the top from the mother hive and re placed it. I had already checked the top for eggs and brood. It had plenty. So I then I checked the bottom box, same thing. Both boxes about equal except for forgers. Don't know where the queen is. So I leave them alone till Sunday week, "9" days. Then I should know where the queen is. Till then I'll keep them fed and let-em ride.  ;)  :) d2

PS
 I think this is what is called a walk away split. Maybe I should found the queen and moved her with the split. Oh well.