Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member from NJ  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Susannj30

• Brood
    • P.S.-With Love Pet sitting
New Member from NJ
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
Hello everyone..My boyfriend and I have been doing some research on bee keeping..We are seriously thinking of taking up this hobby..Money is tight with us..What's the best way to learn? Thru a mentor/bee keeper/ paid class from a bee keeper /the state..We live in NJ..Reading books..watching videos? Are there any bee keepers on this forum from NJ..preferably Mercer Co..Hunterdon Co..I'd love to work hands on with an established bee keeper that is willing to teach..I'd be willing to help them with their bees..Or barter..I'm a professional pet sitter for 17 yrs..I'm learning about bees..don't have much experience on farms but could learn..Any information is appreciated..Have a wonderful day..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Member from NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:19:31 am »
welcome to the site.  we do have members from NJ and you can probably look on the members section to find some.

i take it you are not getting bees this year?  that gives you time to read everything in the library, hopefully find a find a bee club in your area, maybe a mentor, ask LOTS of questions, and start collecting your stuff.

hopefully some of the NJ people wii chime in here and help you get started.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
Finding a mentor through an association and working for them for a while is the best way to learn about bees.  Welcome to the forum.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Susann

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:15 am »
Welcome!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:45:58 pm »
Glad you found us!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:49 pm »
Welcome! to Beebeemaster
This may help you  

http://www.njbeekeepers.org/Education.htm

ESSEX COUNTY BKPRS ASSOC
 Landi Simone
 101-B Taylortown Rd
 Boonton, NJ 07005
 Phone: 973-263-0674
 Email: beelady@optonline.net
 http://www.njbeekeepers.org/LocalBranches.htm

MORRIS COUNTY BKPRS ASSOC
 Janet A. Klatz
 460 Old Route 24
 Chester, NJ 07930-2903
 Phone: 908-879-4377
 Email: janet@rapseik.org
 http://www.njbeekeepers.org

SOUTH JERSEY BKPRS ASSOC
 Tim Schuler
 P O Box 228
 Richland, NJ 08350
 Phone: 856-697-0483
 Email: tim.schuler@ag.state.nj.us

SUSSEX COUNTY BKPRS ASSOC
 John Vnenchak
 29 Dogwood Trail
 Kinnelon, NJ 07405
 Phone: 973-492-5632
 Email: KSDVN@aol.com

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline kevvan

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
Hi Susan.  I am a member (and officer) of the Northwest NJ Beekeepers Association based in Hunterdon/Warren Counties.  Given that I'm new on this forum I can't post a link but you can search for NWNJBA in a search engine and you'll find us.

We have a meeting coming up in the Flemington area on April 21st.  We're going to install a package and demonstrate how to split hives in a few different ways. The hands on session will take place at our mentoring hives location.   On that day we are also going to have a 'Getting Started in Beeekeeping" public meeting at North Hunterdon High School in the afternoon.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »
Welcome to the site!

anything