Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Escape Boards??  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
Bee Escape Boards??
« on: June 05, 2005, 02:39:55 pm »
What is your opinions of Bee Escape Boards? Do you use them and love them? Used them and hated them? Don't use them because they don't work... Just something to spend my money on? Do you use the whole board or just the escape 'plate' that fits into the inner cover.?

Because of hand surgery I will be extracting soon. I have a wonderful crop of beautiful honey.  In the past yrs. I have used a type of "Bee Go" with a more pleasant smell (herbs), but I find it takes a long time at the hives and with temps already reaching 95* and the high humidities I want something a little quicker when robbing.

Thanks for any information. Debbie

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
Bee Escape Boards??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 02:58:23 pm »
The Bee escapes are not quick
I have used them sucessfully
but you go out one day put them on  return the next day
and hope the super is empty  you cant have any holes
of the bees will get back in and in extreme temperature
situations the honey in the supper will start to run if not
completely sealed as the bees cant get to them to circulate.
Personaly I use a bee brush or twig with leaves I also
have a weak hand and had to learn to use the brush
in the opposite hand.
Wayne Cole

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee Escape Boards??
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 05:24:49 pm »
>What is your opinions of Bee Escape Boards?

The triangular ones?  I like them.

> Do you use them and love them?

I do use them.  I like them.  I wouldn't say I love them.  :)  Perhaps if I invented a piece of equipment that would allow me to just slide it into the hive without moving the supers, I'd love them.

>Do you use the whole board or just the escape 'plate' that fits into the inner cover.?

The inserted ones don't work very well at all.  I had quite a few and have thrown them all away.

>Because of hand surgery I will be extracting soon. I have a wonderful crop of beautiful honey. In the past yrs. I have used a type of "Bee Go" with a more pleasant smell (herbs), but I find it takes a long time at the hives and with temps already reaching 95* and the high humidities I want something a little quicker when robbing.

I put them on the escape.  Sometimes, to save some work, I put the escape on a bottom board behind the hive and stack the supers on that and then I don't have to restack them back on the hive.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything