Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nasty looking removal reported to swarmpatrol.com  (Read 1987 times)

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
Nasty looking removal reported to swarmpatrol.com
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:06:30 am »
This could be quite a difficult one as it looks like they have created a nest in the steel structure. With the temperature today in the high 30C, honey has been found leaking into public thoroughfare areas so a rather urgent removal is required. Any suggestions for this are welcome!

Might have to call Superman.....

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Nasty looking removal reported to swarmpatrol.com
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:42 am »
That's not a removal. It's either a trapout or an extermination! Either way you're not going to solve the honey dripping problem unless you caulk the whole thing up.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:49:06 am »
 That looks like a public place, a trapout sometimes leads to unhappy bees. Is the hive worth the trouble saving?
 I'd contact the company that put the structure up ( over time, even drilling a hole in steel can lead to structure failure) and let them make decisions.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »
I do tend to agree that it will have  to be an extermination by a pest company - access will be very limited so it will have to be done quickly.  Good point about the construction company - they could be liable if they have left holes in the steelwork!! Thank you and I'll pass that on.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »
The construction company won't be liable for anything, that's just the way the structure has been designed, have a look at some of the other joints in the beams.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
Odd place and look for an established colony.

Sure it's not just a stuck swarm that has only been there for a week or two?

I've caught a few swarms around exposed steel like that. Id be tempted to just pull out a bee vac and use a smoker to see.

Don

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
I was thinking of some bk taking a hole saw to the frame to see if he could find where the hive is.
As far as the bee vac goes, might not be a bad idea. If it is a swarm (probably not because of the dripping honey) great, if not keep after em for a week or so, if the majority of the hive gets sucked up maybe they'll abscond.

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:47:16 pm »
How much is your life worth, Ozebee?  Is it over tram or train tracks? Either find an orphan or train surfer whom no one will miss to do the job, or tell the caller they will need to hire a pest control company which has climbing gear and good life insurance.  Or else tell them to set up a viewing platform as a tourist attraction, and sell the honey for top dollar as "City Gold".

Seriously, you have to know your limitations!  Have you made a decision yet or attempted flying up there?  By the way, do any swarm collectors have insurance of any kind?

Lone

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:35:03 am »
No way am I touching it after seeing where it is - too far in the clouds and I am not supposed to be climbing ladders at my age!! Unfortunately it will have to be one to pass to a friendly Pest Control company who I am sure have the young guys and equipment to handle the job. Thanks for all your comments.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:15 am »
Shade the area of steel work with some nice ally sheet metal, so it is cool enough to retain the honey. Then leave the bees alone. The air temp of 30C isnt a problem it will be the steel getting hot. The bees then become an urban wild life feature.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?