Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Caashenb on Today at 06:10:51 pm »
You can tell it is swarm season when you are driving down the road and  your windshield is covered by bees. Drove right thru a swarm crossing the road. I have not heard of that before.
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Chicken Relationships?
« Last post by CLSranch on Today at 01:42:10 pm »
Often with multiple roo's the lower pecking order, younger or old roo's will take what they can get.  Often taking or going after the hens that isolate themselves to get away from all the roo's and higher pecking order hens.   After last years batch of hatching you could watch the order move/change.  There was one main roo in both coops.  The bigger, older of the younger hatch took over the small coop's spot and ran off the old roster.  Later another hatch with more males than hens, who stayed in the bigger coop ran off the big roo then eventually took the share that they could get.  The youngest went away from the coop with the hens that were trying to run away from what was a gang of young roster's.  Eventually staying in their little clicks.  2 hens that stayed away from all the constant raping even stayed away after butchering the extras.
  Those 2 hens are still getting in my garden after closing the gate. grrr
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: First, you catch a rabbit!
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 01:04:50 pm »
Sorry Sal just to visit the NYT article you posted one has to be registered with the NYT.

« Last post by Michael Bush on Today at 08:25:22 am »
A very long way depending on wind direction, speed and temperature.
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 08:15:54 am »
I never put more than four drops of lemongrass oil inside.  I put double that around the entrance on the outside.
Thanks, I am relieved that I did not OD the joint. I was only using a drop or two outside and the cue tip with some on it in a plastic bag inside. I could detect a faint smell of lemon when I opened the lid and added popsicle sticks to the empty frames. After I added two more drops yesterday, I had two more visitors around 5:30. I thought it was kind of late for them to be there but they were. I wonder how far they can smell that stuff.
« Last post by Michael Bush on Today at 06:40:25 am »
I never put more than four drops of lemongrass oil inside.  I put double that around the entrance on the outside.
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Almost Caught Up On Wood For The Next 5 Years
« Last post by cao on April 09, 2024, 11:30:21 pm »
I burn most of it in a fireplace in my living room.  I do have an old junky wood stove in the basement that I used to use but I have gotten lazy about going up and down the stairs all the time.  I have looked into different wood stoves and furnaces in the past, but I just haven't gotten around to getting one.  I probably ought to now that I have all this wood.
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Baby Goats on the Way!
« Last post by The15thMember on April 09, 2024, 11:23:10 pm »
Here's some pictures of Beverly in the house today.  She finally took the bottle around suppertime, once Haley tried a new style of nipple.  This is the first time we've successfully bottle-fed a kid, so Haley is very pleased.  Bev will come inside tomorrow too, just to be sure she's got the bottle down, and then hopefully she'll be able to take one whenever it's needed.   
It?s like an Easter Egg hunt.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of hoping you can find and catch your swarms you can toss a rope over the branch and pull up a Russian scion or an old brood frame with a roof on it.  That way you can just lower them into a box.
Yep. They flew back up. I parked the nuc box up in the tree touching the swarm for the nite. Maybe they will go in. If not, I?ll see about grabbing some brood frames tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything