Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Acedic acid for varroa control  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Virginia Beekeeper

• New Bee
Acedic acid for varroa control
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:19:31 pm »
Does anyone out there have any experience using vaporized acedic acid as a mite control. I have read a couple of articles about it but I don't know of anyone who has used it. It sounded promising. Thanks for the help,

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:00:07 pm »
Quite a few organic acids are effective.  Oxalic seems to be the easiest and least touchy of the bunch.  With the rest you have the temperature sensitivity or handling issues.  But I'm sure at the right dosages it would be effective.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:47:02 pm »
Has that even been approved yet; acid vapor for varroa controll?  Either way, the treatment would have to be repeated over and over again unless the colony is COMPLETELY broodless.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 02:02:37 am »
There are many ways to control varroa but I have never seen acetic acid in official recommendations. Lactic acid is used and formic acid. When you heat oxalic acid it makes formic acid vapour- is that so?

These ways are tested hundreds of times by researches. I see no idea to do "own tests" in these things. Often official method will fail and reason is the beekeeper and not the method.

It is clear that Apistan and fluvinates do not work any more and they are expencive. Oxalic acid is almost free.

These treatments are not ment to use at spring. It is difficult situation. In my country some professionals take away first brood frames if autumn handling is failed.

• New Bee
mite treatment
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:56:11 am »
Acedic acid is concentrated white vinagar. The recommended treatment is once per week for 3 weeks in a row in the spring and 3 weeks in the fall. Each treatment lasting about 1 minute.
 You hear about differant treatment methods all the time, I was just wondering if this was one that was worth trying. Thanks for the imput.

Bill

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 12:16:34 am »
Hi Bill:
Are you aware of "The Cyclone" advertised in the two leading U.S. beekeeping magazines? It uses vaporized white vinegar.

Better Way Wax Melter
Honey Processors Ltd.
116 11th Street SE
Altoona, IA 50009

(515) 967-4952

They claim in their ads that treatments do: "....an excellent job of killing Varroa and Tracheal mites instantly. It will suppress American and European Foulbrood. Nosema spores and chaldbrood fungus you can treat anytime and will not hurt bees."

Every now and then someone asks about the machine on one of these internet discussion groups.

If you have an interest, you could contact the above for more information (and probably a sales pitch).

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:26 am »
Quote from: Dick Allen
Hi Bill:
Are you aware of "The Cyclone" advertised in the two leading U.S. beekeeping magazines?

You can find the patent info of "The Cyclone"  --> HERE
It's titled Method and Apparatus for Removing Parasites from Bees
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

• New Bee
acedic acid
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:41:45 am »
Thanks everyone for your help I was not aware of the cylclone being available, I will check into it. My main concern was if it was viable method of treatment.    

Thanks again
            Bill

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: acedic acid
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 03:59:55 pm »
Quote from: Virginia Beekeeper
My main concern was if it was viable method of treatment.

Personally I have never heard any claims other than those who stand to make money from it.

I can tell you oxalic acid works though :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything