Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Securing Hives  (Read 4064 times)

Offline rhondabo

• New Bee
Securing Hives
« on: September 03, 2004, 10:50:20 am »
Ok here is a topic you probably don't have on a daily basis! I am setting up in the Philippines and there are typhoons. I am looking for any suggestions as to securing my hives. Creativity counts here!! Thanks in advance folks!!

Rho
[/i]
Rhonda

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Securing Hives
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:16:16 pm »
Well couldn't you rope them to big trees??? I mean how many hives do you have?
Bee Boy

Offline rhondabo

• New Bee
More Info
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 12:27:33 pm »
Quote from: Bee Boy
Well couldn't you rope them to big trees??? I mean how many hives do you have?

tsk tsk....well perhaps I should have been a bit clearer :) there will be 50 to start in this particular location.  

I am looking for some type of fastening mechanism perhaps for the supers and or shallows and also a way to secure them to the ground.  

Thanks!
Rho
Rhonda

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Securing Hives
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 01:44:14 pm »
Here is an easy way to keep all the hive parts together.  Seems like it would allow for easy moving/swapping of parts between hives if they are all made standard.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/zsprings.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline PALS

• New Bee
Securing Hives
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 09:41:50 pm »
In Key West people use screw augers and metal straps to help hold sheds and trailers to the ground.  Something like an auger can be put between the hives and load straps over the tops of the hives... the augers can be left in place and the straps can be removed when there are no typhoons to facilite working the hives.    A similar type of auger can be found in pet stores for staking out dogs on a chain.  Cost may be an issue.
Perry
No bees or Hives, yet.
Located in Fredericksburg, VA