Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: appropriate winter stores?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
appropriate winter stores?
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:34:55 am »
I know this is a little early, but how do you know how much honey to leave for your bees for overwintering?  How do yo know how much you can take off?  Do you leave 1 super?  and take the rest?  thanks!

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: appropriate winter stores?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:39:14 am »
60 to 80lbs. is generally enough in our region.  That is basically a deep of honey or maybe a little shy of that.  That is what I try to leave every fall and have had very little problems when this is done.

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:53:14 am »
ok thats what i was thinking as well....im sure i read it somewhere on here!  my first two package hives are doing well and i just added a second super since they have all the lower drawn out and i have two swarms from this year that i will have to check on this weekend but im just thinkin ahead :)

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:09:39 am »
I am just 40 mins N.E of you and even with the cooler temps and rain the bees are really packing it in right now.  So I would assume this is good comb drawing and start time for packages.  Good luck!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:30:06 am »
If you have the equivalent of 2 deeps backfilled with honey (approx 80 lbs) you should be good for the winter most anywhere in the USA including Alaska.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!