Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving Hives a long distance  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Moving Hives a long distance
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »
I am moving at least three full size hives about 9 hours away.  I plan to  do this sometime in April.  Is there any trick to this for the health of the hive?  I will strap the boxes together and tie them down in the back of my pick up truck, but beyond that and closing them in, is there anything else to do?  Will they overheat in the sun?
Brian

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Moving Hives a long distance
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:41 am »
What do you mean by full size hive? Do you plan on removing the honey supers prior to moving them? That is what I do. If it is real hot, if you have to stop, try to park in the shade. The hive will be full and they will not bee able to get out of to reduce how much heat is generated from the bees. After you set them in their new location, let them settle for about 30 minutes. Although i have released them on numerous occasion right after getting them in place, with no problems, if they were handled roughly, they may take it out on you. They are usually just in a hurry to get out. Bee sure to have a full bee suit in the truck, for each person in the truck, just in case something happens and you have to put a bunch of angry bees back in their hives. If the local fire department gets called to the site, they will foam them down and kill all of them. Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:27:46 am »
Sawdust has some good advice!  Also make sure you have some good spring on your truck and position them close to the cab.  9 hours on Michigan roads would bounce the bees around so much there might not be anything left.  It's a disaster if the hives come apart during the move.  Have bee suits handy  ;)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:17 am »
Good ventilation. mosquito netting and a spray bottle of water to give the hive something to drink and cool the hive with, thirsty business moving when its hot out.

Frames should bee parallel to the forward motion so they don't rock and crush the queen.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:16:32 am »
Pretend you have a puppy in each box and you'll do fine.  Yes, they can overheat, especially when they are confined and getting bumped around.  I would move them at night or on a cool or cloudy (but not cold) day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I never would have thought of the parallel frames idea.  These hives are three deeps each and there will be no supers on.  I will be sure to bring extra suits with me.  I am bringing them up from Mississippi to Missouri, so at least it will be getting cooler as I drive.  I wondered if I should have them put on a SBB and then put a screen-walled shim around the top for ventillation. Is that overkill?  I think my biggest problem is going to be getting them out of my truck when I get to my farm.
Brian

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:17:25 am »
I like the puppy idea  :-D

I use a a ventilated bottom, with the mosquito netting on top, I strap every thing together well with multiple straps two on the narrow side and one over the long side.

Also a good thing to have is the beekeeper's best friend  ;) duck tape  :-D
It is a great thing to have to seal hives, cracks or keep multiple hive bodies together, so they don't leak bees.

Take your time and drive calmly and carefully  :angel: stop once in a while to spray the bees with water

mvh edward  :-P

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:31:23 am »
I once had a beek tell me that the rumble of the engine is smoothing to the bees!  You just never really know what will come out of a beeks mind. :laugh:  Now I do find the rumble of a well tuned V8 a joy to listen to, but a 4 banger just grates at my ears.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:11:05 am »
Or it will  :evil: enrage  :evil: them even more   :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:29 am »
use a dolly, stout ramp, back truck into a hill