Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DIY beetle traps using gutter guard mesh  (Read 4929 times)

Offline jualhome

• New Bee
DIY beetle traps using gutter guard mesh
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:54:15 am »
Thanks to all who described DIY beetle traps using gutter guard mesh. I have converted a dozen hives so far and it works beautifully. When I searched for the mesh I found two sizes. A fine mesh and a larger mesh with a fold down the middle. I chose the larger and it works fine. One sheet gives me 8 pieces. I simply cut a hole 250mmx50mm in each bottom board and screwed a section of mesh underneath with small countersunk screws. Some cheap small cake tins from the local Dinky Di Discount Store at $2.50 each worked well as the under tray which were held in place with two attached routed rails.
The tins are just flexible enough to put a small bend in the middle of each end to allow them to slip under the mesh. One thing I did not realize was the amount of bee droppings that build up in the in the vegetable oil so I filter them about every two weeks to remove this and the many dead beetles and the odd grub. I also put about a dessert spoon of apple cider vinegar in each trap to attract the beetles. I do not know if the vinegar actually works but the traps certainly catch a lot of beetles and there are no dead bees. I have tried the commercial bottom boards with the traps attached but they are expensive but work well. The DIY solution costs less than $5 per hive and is just as effective. I used small plastic sandwich boxes under my nucleus hives and this also worked very well.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: DIY beetle traps using gutter guard mesh
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:21:05 am »
One of the good things about using a SBB and an oil tray on that many hives is that you can really depleted an area of the local SHB population. Last year another close by beek and I both stopped putting oil in the trays because the SHB numbers were so low it was not needed. We just scrapped the debree out of the bottom and trashed it to keep the larva from growing in the pollen that fell in the trays.
This year I have just 2 hives remaining in this apiary while the rest are working on gallberry and I had to put the oil back in the traps. Also the trees have grown back in providing too much shade again.
If you like SBB, you might want to try adding a screen top board (STB). I am killing as many as 35 SHB a day on top of the screens in these 2 hives. Keep in mind the one on top is a window screen so that the SHB cannot get into the hive. You need to cut a 1/8" slot in the sides of the STB frame to allow the SHB access but not the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:15 am »
Do you know what the actual dimensions of the mesh is?

Offline Suncat

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »
I too have made DIY SBB to help with the control of the SHB (starting to sound like a lawyer with all this abbreviations  :-D ), and I have used the gutter guard  from Gumleaf (gumleafgutterguard.com.au)

available in 1200mm lengths (which for me did 3 hives) from Bunnings (gutterguard-metal-gumleaf-1200mm-corro-woodland-grey_p3040245)

I just trimmed off the ends that would normally go into the corrugations and cut out the bottom board and using some liquid nails glue the screen to the inside of the bottom board and used a non-stick cooking tray from KMart (rectangular cookie tray $3.50) underneath the bottom board filled with lime, and I too have captured lots of SHB.

I am looking to build some more bottom boards in the next couple of weeks, so i will take some photos of the process.

Hope this helps. (sorry I cant publish URLs)
John

Offline Oak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:38:18 pm »
I tried the screened bottom board approach with two layers of 6mm gutter guard.

Some bees got through and drowned in the oil tray. I would not recommend experimenting with the 6mm mesh size.

Oak

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:04:08 pm »
window screen is called 18x14 that many threads in those directions
openness factor ?
bottom screen 1/8inch hardware cloth made of steel wire galvanized
jay

Offline hotdog

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 03:27:21 am »
My hive has a similar tray underneath. The bottom board however i don't use mesh on my bottom board, i have made from sheetmetal in which i have cut some very small slots with an angle grinder.  In a star shaped pattern, this allows the beatles through to the oil in the tray, but stops the bees. it works very well.

Sent from my Agora HD+ using Tapatalk

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:52:51 am »
hot dog where are u in fnq???
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline jualhome

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:01:59 am »
Here is the mesh I actually used, gumleaf-1200mm-100-fold-woodland-grey-metal-gutterguard_p3040269
I simply grind off the edge sections and cut each into 280mm lengths. Each of which fits under a 250x50mm hole in the bottom board.
Thanks Jim for the STB suggestion, could you please give a bit more detail? I hope the beetles decrease over time but I've only had them in place for about 6 weeks and I have not noticed a decrease yet.
Allan

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »
The easiest way to make STB's is to take an old super, set your table saw fence to 2" from the blade, cut the old superall the way around so that it is now a 2" tall super. Reset the fence to 1". Clamp a stop board to the front of the table saw so that the you can cut a 1/8 slot through the side of the 2" super safely. raise the blade up about 1" above the table. Then slowly and carefully push the super down onto the blade. A few inches through to the inside is all you need on at least 2 sides.
Then staple the screen on one side. Add a 3/8" by 3/4" (the width of the super board) on top of the screen, nailed down all the way around.
If you want, you can add a feeder by adding a 3/8" x 5" x 6" piece of scrap plywood in one corner before you place the 3/8" x3/4" strips. Drill a hole in the plywood that matches the size of your quart jar lids. I think the standard mason jar lid is 2 1/4". Be sure to align the hole so that the jar fits inside of the super. Then you just add a shallow super on top of the STB and the cover goes over it. Do not use the inner cover with this setup. If you are not feeding, just place a jar lid in the hole.

During the winter, I add a piece of foil backed foam insulation placed directly on top of the screen to keep in/reflect the heat.
Good luck and be careful cutting with the table saw.
Use an older carbide blade and move very slowly to cut the nails. I usually adjust the blade one way or the other to just miss the nails. You can also just build a 2" super which is what I do most of the time. If you cut a deep to make a medium using this technique you end up the the material you need.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hotdog

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 07:05:11 am »
hot dog where are u in fnq???

I'm in Dysart - 3 hr drive sth west of Mackay...dont know why my profile says FNQ..?