15 (6.4%)
51-100
8 (3.4%)
101-200
3 (1.3%)
201-500
4 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: hive #'s  (Read 31850 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: hive #'s
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 09:48:25 pm »
I'm going into my second season. I hope to finish this fall with 10 hives. My "ultimate" goal is 20-30 in 10 years. I could get there faster, but I want to spread out the equipment investment.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline talkingamoeba

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 09:25:01 am »
Built a 3"X3"X12" tube box when I was 7 or 8. Screen at one end, makeshift flapper door at the other. I would place the open end over a clover flower, they were every where and it seemed there was a bee on every one- how times change, the bee would fly up toward the light and I could close the door and look for a bit and turn her loose. I wanted hives but I was without the means. Then 18-25 Marines, 25-27 college and so on and no bees. Bought a farm, then got some new unassembled hive bodies at auction, finally in 2005 I started catching swarms. Three that year, none came through the winter. Three in 2006, 2 alive in January 2007, dead in Mar-April. Caught 2 swarms last year, one left the same afternoon. The other was humming as of yesterday :), but is a 10 frame NUC I guess you would say. I have 4 pkgs ordered for early May. I think the wait made it more profound for me.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 10:13:58 am »
Insert Quote
Built a 3"X3"X12" tube box when I was 7 or 8. Screen at one end, makeshift flapper door at the other. I would place the open end over a clover flower, they were every where and it seemed there was a bee on every one- how times change, the bee would fly up toward the light and I could close the door and look for a bit and turn her loose. I wanted hives but I was without the means. Then 18-25 Marines, 25-27 college and so on and no bees. Bought a farm, then got some new unassembled hive bodies at auction, finally in 2005 I started catching swarms. Three that year, none came through the winter. Three in 2006, 2 alive in January 2007, dead in Mar-April. Caught 2 swarms last year, one left the same afternoon. The other was humming as of yesterday , but is a 10 frame NUC I guess you would say. I have 4 pkgs ordered for early May. I think the wait made it more profound for me.
Posted on: February 22, 2008, 10:48:25 PM
Posted by: Moonshae

Sorry for your losses but if we don't know what region your in we can't advice .
                                                                          Ray :-\

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 11:15:35 am »
Talkingamoeba.  Welcome and so nice that you found our forum.  You will be sharing stories and we all love to share stories.  Nice little diddy on your history, by the way.

This is the place where you can spend great time, ask questions, all questions will get good answers, enjoy your stay and visiting here.  Have a wonderful and great day, lovin' our lives we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »
4 hives currently.  Will have 20 or better come the end of the year (planned anyway).  Been keeping for 3 years.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2008, 01:19:36 pm »
Started with 2 packages in 2006. Then last year we had 7 until one died. Remaining 6 are still alive as of 3-3-08 and we hope to have 10-12 hives this year and one nuc.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Cass Cohenour

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »
11the year. Have 16 as of the monent. I have four packages ordered. I will be making nucs as often as possible this year. I hope to end up with close to 60 or more by fall.

Offline tngold

• New Bee
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 09:50:57 pm »
I started with 6 hives in 2001. Got bit with bee fever now have 27 hives, 3ob hives one i winter, they tell me when things are happening better than any books i read!
"consistency" key to adjustment

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2008, 01:05:52 am »
I've had about 15-20 hives for the last 5 years.  Between myself, my father, my grandfather and my great grandfather, bees have been kept almost continuously on this farm since at least the 1890's.

PS: Beekeeping has to be the most interesting "hobby" in the world.

PSS: This forum is great: everyone is congenial and helpful.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:47 am »
This is an interesting post that keeps us up to date as to how our fellow beeks are doing with their hives. Like I said before numbers vary, we have swarming to deal with, various weather conditions, and now ccd. At the beginning of this season, I started with I believe it was 19. I wanted to go to 30, just didn't think it would happen quite so quickly! This has been an incredible season thus far and things are really just getting started! Yes, keeping bees is addicting, this has been said before but how true this is. I really don't know what I'll wind up with this season. I have already started to part with some and am hovering at the 30 mark. I was hoping to give my friend Bailey some but he is running out of room as well. We have talked about outyards though. Having too many is not a bad problem to have though.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tbeddy

• New Bee
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 04:15:26 pm »
I'm in my 11th month, started with 2 hives and came through the winter with 3. 

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:37 pm »
tbeddy,

Where are you located? You did very well to come out with your 3 hives. This should be a good year for you. Congrats!!!!!

DennisB

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »
I started in 1970 with a package of Midnight Bees from MONTGOMERY WARD.
worked up to 100.then left beekeeping got back in 2000.Now have 11 all in the city.Trying to get to 100 again
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:36 pm »
first year.starting with 2 package swarms and 5 captured swarms.7 right now.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 05:03:04 pm »
Alright here is a update on my numbers as of right now. 184
Man I have a lot of work ahead of me. went from 65 in january  to 184 now.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 08:49:43 pm »

Hey Dallas, I didn't even know you could count that high! Heeheheehehehe. :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 09:58:47 pm »
   HEY Dallas your holding back on all the good details we need pics -maybe the poll should roll back every year so the stats are curent -RDY-B

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
An update to ours:  we installed three packages in the backyard today, so now we're up to six down here and three in Maine.  But that will change at the end of May when we add two nucs to the Maine beeyard.  Total for this year should be 11 hives.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:51 pm »
Hey Ann, how much woods do ya'll have there, if you don't mind me asking. Beautiful woods. Hey, I think I've seen those boxes before, stacked to the ceiling, right!

...JP

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 05:57:18 pm »
Who's that behind the  hood?  Why, ....I believe it's Woodchopper!!Great that you share   this hobby together!!