Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pic of bee. need ID!  (Read 1931 times)

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
pic of bee. need ID!
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »
This bee is drilling a hole in the foam insulation on the side of my top bar hive.  Only a foot away from the entrance.  Is it a Bumble bee?  Mason bee?  I guess I need to work on my bee id skills!

Thanks, Rich

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Re: pic of bee. need ID!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
Carpenter bee

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
Yeap, I would agree with Highlander.

Joe

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:01:35 pm »
Carpenter bee - destructive as hell.  Kill everyone you see!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:20 pm »
Build them a nesting site...they're great pollinators!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:47 pm »
Build them a nesting site...they're great pollinators!

Scott

Entertaining too!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:39 pm »
Nice article on using Carpenter Bees for very specialized pollination services.
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/psyche/2010/927463/

I know these are sometimes hived in "bee Boards" for orchard pollination, much like mason bees and the alfalfa leafcutter bees. 

Get them to nest in a movable material (place your board over where they are already started).  They are very loyal to a location, and the nest slowly expands as a mother/daughter colony.  Drones are foragers too.