Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame storage question  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Frame storage question
« on: August 20, 2006, 01:14:23 am »
I have a couple of boxes of recently extracted frames that I am in need of storing for the winter. I had put the wet frames back on the hive they came from for about 24 hrs and they appear to be pretty clean. Is there any risk in storing them with minute quantities of honey remaining in the cells? Is the method of storage critical in such a case? I seem to recall once being told that if one freezes them, any remaining honey, even small amounts, will crystalize and likely cause honey in the next year to be more prone to crystalizing. I was concerned about leaving them on the hive longer because I was concerned about the bees starting to store fresh honey in them. We are having an weak late summer flow here.

Offline tom

• House Bee
You can freeze them
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:25:16 pm »
Hello

I don't see why you can not freeze them when i got my two hives back in april a friend of mine gave me two fraames of honey to feed my two packages and they were from last year and the bees did not mine that they were frozen and they ate them real good plus it gave them something to start working on.

Tom

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Frame storage question
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:45:50 pm »
I've placed frames containing crystallized honey on hives. The bees remove the sugared down honey from those cells and dump it overboard before storing new honey in them. I wouldn't worry about new honey crystallizing next season.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Frame storage question
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:37:47 pm »
I'm with Dick Allen.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!