Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm I tried to get this morning.  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Swarm I tried to get this morning.
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
PD called me this morning about a swarm in a tree in the Park so I took off work drove over there to find it 30 +/- foot in the tree. I tried for three hours to get the swarm and then gave up. I laid out everything threw a rope over the limb and shook it maybe two fist size ball made it to the ground without the queen. Tried the same thing at least 5 more times fall half way then they would fly back up so I went and got a water gun from Fred's soon as I put the ladder back up (just using 10 foot A frame) the darn gun Broke so I then beat it apart and could hold the parts together and get it to spray could just barley wet them shook it again nice size splat but no queen I tried this 3 more time then said forget it. I might go by tonight and pull a paper box up near the swarm with old broken comb and a lure.
I should have know better and just said thats to high and they will leave soon.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm I tried to get this morning.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:31 pm »
Bucket on a telescoping pole?

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »
It sucks when the swarms are in the heart of a tree or bush. It's so dense that shaking or whatever you normally try won't work well. 30+ feet, yeah, next time walk away unless they are on the edge of the tree where you can rope and shake with bees falling to the ground instead of another branch below them. Or you can call Emil to climb it. JP might lend him to you.  :-D
I don't think a bucket on a pole would work in this situation. Perhaps a bee vac with 40 ft tube.  :-D

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
At least I don't think the city is going to spray them now. That was the plan when I showed up city workers were there to check it out they offered a bucket truck I don't need them bad enough for a bucket truck. I shook the branch good used a fishing line and lead sinker to get a rope over the limb all the bees came off on every shake it was just so high up they would catch themselves before they hit the ground and fly back.
I might go back tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do. Vac would be best might try it I would have to see if the generator still works.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
should have jumped in the bucket truck, you would have been gone in 30 minutes.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
yep never turn down an offer for a tool that makes your job a little more easy
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
.22 or .357...they would ride the branch all the way to the ground :-D (just ask Bud)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything