Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Deer with a BOW  (Read 9968 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
First Deer with a BOW
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:43:29 pm »
I have been trying for quite some time to get a deer with a bow, 4 years to be exact. I have injured 2 deer in my attempt and havent got one.

On saturday i went out and a little befour 6 i heard some crunching so i watched and out walked a buck. As sson as it got where i could shoot it it put its head down in the goldenrod and started eating weeds. I pulled back and wham got him. The arrow went right down him and he only ran about 30 yards.

Here he is, almost a 7 pointer but he broke his main beam off onthe right side so it is a 6:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: First Deer with a BOW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:54 pm »
Congratulations!!?  I'm not into hunting & yell "run Bambi run" & walk very noisily snapping sticks & singing Janis Joplin.. but you are so way to go!  You do eat them?? The people that don't are wasting life in my humble opinion, they should use targets.  Bow hunting seems a little more fair to me, you have to get closer & be sneakier to get a shot.  Anyways, good going, he is a pretty one, how many years old would a 6-7 pt be? J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:37 pm »
Thanks,
Yes we eat every peice of meat off of are deer and pratically depend on them. We eat at least 2 deer a year maybe 3 if it is a good deer.

The age to horn ratio depends all on how fast they grow and what they eat, to get nutrients. I suspect mine is a 3-3 year old deer.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »
Very nice! I went seven years before I got my first with a bow. It does feel a whole lot more like hunting than "getting" with the bow compared to firearms but they taste the same regardless of how they're harvested.

Did you get a weight? Without looking at the teeth, I would have guessed 2.5-3 years old. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to get out much yet this season and firearms is coming soon so I'll be sharing the hunt with my boys and father-in-law... It's finally cooled down enough to start feeling like deer season here.

J-

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
The deer weighed around 200 and my uncle is taking it to the DNR today to get the head all checked out for diseses and age. He said it is a relatively young deer though, well see when he gets home how old it really is.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:36:42 am »
Congratulations on you deer
Johnny

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:28:06 am »
Big congrats!  I hunted bow for many years for elk and deer with no success.  I gave up and sold my equipment which helped fund my beekeeping habit.  Wish I could have gone modern firearm this season but my friends all flaked out and ruined the trip.  Oh well, there's always next season.

Congrats again!  That animal looks beautiful!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:24:02 am »
Jordan, don't know how I didn't see this, anyway, congratulations on your first dear with bow!!!

That's a very handsome looking deer, 200lbs, wow! Can't tell much by the pic but I would also guess 2.5-3yr old.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:01 pm »
Thanks everybody.

Heres an update i took the head in and they said it was only a 1.5 year old and they were shocked it got this big so quick.  :lol:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 12:07:28 am »
Wow, that's quite big for a 1.5 yr old.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 10:37:47 am »
Jordan, I missed this thread too, just like JP, oh brother, now maybe him and are I twins too.

Anyways, nice, good that you had it tested out for stuff, I guess that is necessary when hunting wild game.  It is 6:30 A.M. here and my mouth is watering, just thinking of that venison, I am not kidding you.  We don't have any hunters in our family, my Son-in-Law's Cousin does, but rarely do we see him, so it is rare that we get venison.  I guess I could buy it at the specialty butcher shop, but it just does not bring up the same idea of something that was done by someone I know. Yeah!!!  Enjoy all that meat, it surely sounds like it keeps your family in food, and that is a most wonderful thing.  Have a great day, love and live life, great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 11:04:11 am »
Wow, that's quite big for a 1.5 yr old.

...JP
Yup no one can believe it. Cindi if i lived closer to you i would go and get a deer for you, licenses are only $15 here. Maybe there is someone else on this forum near you, that would get you one.

By the way nice avatar JP, always coming up with somthing new i see.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 04:34:45 pm »
Quote from Cindi "Jordan, I missed this thread too, just like JP, oh brother, now maybe him and are I twins too."

Cindi perhaps in spirit but you're not quite hairy enough to be my twin, lol!

Quote from Jordan "By the way nice avatar JP, always coming up with something new i see."

They thought it was too early for Santa, so I had to find something more seasonal.

Cindi, my favorite way to eat venison is fried backstrap medallions in Italian breadcrumbs. I like to dip them in horse raddish sauce, it is second to nothing on this green earth!

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 06:47:29 pm »
[
Cindi, my favorite way to eat venison is fried backstrap medallions in Italian breadcrumbs. I like to dip them in horse raddish sauce, it is second to nothing on this green earth!

...JP
[/quote]

UUHHH-OOhhh, Whoppo is going to be very upset! :evil: ;)
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:30:02 pm »
[

...JP

UUHHH-OOhhh, Whoppo is going to be very upset! :evil: ;)
[/quote]

Uhhh Whoppo sleeps with the fishes, doesn't he?

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 10:21:42 pm »
Jordan, oh that was such a gracious offer, thank you for thinking of me in spirit.  There is no one on the forum that even lives close enough to me for them to go and get me a deer, too bad though eh?  Nice thought.

JP, if I ever get a chance to get some venison, I will try backstrap medallions in Italian breadcrumbs (whatever the dilly back strap medallions are, hee, hee).  I wish I could send you some of my horse radish that I grow in my garden, it has gone wild, no use even trying to control it, just dig it back and back and back, eating lots of that spicy yum, yum.  I mix Wasabi with it and that makes it even more spicey, but retains that awesome and most unusual and fantastic taste of horse radish.  It gets a very pretty flower too in summer that is very fragrant.

...JP
...JP

JP, what the devil are you talking about?  Is that some kind of slang jargon that I am not aware of, hee, hee...

Whoppo doesn't sleep with fish, he went to be the 4th or 5th drake down the totem pole up at his new home.  I am sure he would be trying to spread his genes around up there, don't think he will get a chance, too many other drakes....  There he won't have a chance to bully anyone around, like he thought he could me.  He thought he was king of the hill here.  Had he let me be king of that hill, and him the second one down, he would still have been with me, he was a beauty, too bad he had to go.

Jody, you have an excellent memory to remember Whoppo's name.  That means "beautiful" in Spanish, by the way.  I love my forum friends!!!  Have a most great and wonderful day, love life, live life, great health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:09 am »
Quote from: JP on November 08, 2008, 05:30:02 PM
...JP
...JP

From Cindi "JP, what the devil are you talking about?  Is that some kind of slang jargon that I am not aware of, hee, hee..."

My dear Cindi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4SAOaXbG7w

http://www.richard-nathan-scripts.com/godfather.htm

...JP ;)