Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Surf Fishing and birds  (Read 3201 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Surf Fishing and birds
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »
For veterans day i went fishing. I saw fighter jets( I think F-4's) above mach about 50 yrds off the ocean sucking water behind them as they went. they were flying out of the FAA test center in NJ.  Five of them, doing all kinds of manuvers, like dog fighting. Totally cool. lots of migrating birds In Cape May this time of year as well. All good outdoors stuff! It was gorgeous day. The almost full moon rose as the sun set and i was picking some short stripers and an occasional monster bluefish.(pound for pound, an awesome fighter). As darkness fell I was enjoying the company of my dog and a close friend. It was awesome. My rod started going crazy so I set the hook and was surprised to feel a wierd sensation. It took me about a minute to realize a Tern had become entangled in my fishing line. Now its dark, I am using these new lines that are like a knife on your hands and you can hardly see them. Need a knife to cut always. No using your teeth in a pinch.  the bird is obviously in distress and things are getting ugly fast. My friend gets pecked in his cheek, drawing blood. The bird is now after me. My dog is going beserk and only complicating matters . I am extremely grateful I was able to untangle the bird before any more harm resulted to us or it. It was an alarming event. Couldnt believe it happened. I have had birds attack top water plugs and slow sinking baits, but never getting tangled in a line like this.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Re: Surf Fishing and birds
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:04:10 pm »
Sounds like an exciting day! I've caught gulls, ducks, and pelicans on top lures and live bait, but like you, I've never had a bird entangle itself in my line. I've had them hit the line, but never get tangled, that's a once-in-a-lifetime!

Where's the pics!?! :-D