Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lynx anyone?  (Read 15778 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Lynx anyone?
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:22:36 pm »
Not many folks get to see these so I thought I'd share some pictures.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Lynx anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:40:39 pm »
Awesome shots, Robo, woodchopper (hubby) just gave you the double thumbs up

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:07 pm »
That is just incredible. And to think all I have down here are gators. There is a Florida Panther but it is really rare.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:02:38 pm »
What a beautiful animal!!! Thanks for posting.

.......JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
very good shots! those would make some great snacks for the gators. ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:07:13 pm »
great shots!  how close were you when you took them?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:01:56 pm »
Wow that is awsome.  You truly live in a wonderful part of the country.  We have bobcats here, but rarely see any.  Thumbs up here too.

David

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:12:37 am »
Rob, ooooh, what amazing and beautiful pictures.  Is this near your home where these critters live?  I thought that they were so pretty, sometimes certain pictures make me want to gaze and gaze.

I remember Mick put a beautiful picture on our forum of a tree taken at sunup, his dog was in the picture, and Abejaruco has put a couple of really cool ones in too, one of orange grove I really liked, your pictures are standing out in my mind like theirs did, no clue why, no understanding why.  This only happens now and then, and it strikes me as strange. 

Would you mind if I kept one of your pictures for my pictures folder?  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »
I didn't take these pictures,  a friend gave them to me.   They were taken in Van Buren, Maine.  I found them very interesting, as it seems others have too, that is why I decided to share them.

Cindi,  I don't see a problem with you saving copies.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
Wow, that's way up in the northern tip of Maine! 

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 01:36:42 am »
Great pictures. I didnt know there would be so many in one spot. Here in SE Colorado we have Bobcats. Recently the numbers have been going up, and the Turkey population is going down, adn I seem to see more signs of them.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:53:04 am »
kitty kitty kitty!!!
incredible animals. and these photos are even more amazing. aren't they solitaire animals?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:07:47 am »
aren't they solitaire animals?

For the most part, that is the belief.  They are know to hunt in groups and I believe the kittens stay with the mother for a year or more before leaving.   I think the later may be the case here.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 07:56:13 pm »
Great pics..
It seems that big cat populations have been going up all over the country. Most of the big cats are also night runners and you wont see much of them in the daylight hours. We got panthers around here.. people report sightings now and then to the game and fish dept. Of course like any good government agency they deny there are any around here just like they denied any bear in the state and when a fella shot and killed one of those big black figments of his imagination they wanted to put him in jail :roll:

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:02:04 am »
It´s curious I´ve been in Doñana´s Natural Park this weekend. At this Natural Park is where lives the linx pardinus (lince ibérico). But the weather was horrible, and I couldn´t see something. I was forced by the wind and rain to visit any typical wine shops.

My dear linx pardinus

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
are you saying bad weather forced you to drink!!  :shock:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:29:21 am »
Yes Kathyp, the bad and the good. :-D

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 03:32:27 pm »
Great pics..
It seems that big cat populations have been going up all over the country. Most of the big cats are also night runners and you wont see much of them in the daylight hours. We got panthers around here.. people report sightings now and then to the game and fish dept. Of course like any good government agency they deny there are any around here just like they denied any bear in the state and when a fella shot and killed one of those big black figments of his imagination they wanted to put him in jail :roll:

What is it about State Game agencies that makes them hard headed.

We had been spotting Coydogs and Coyotes in Delaware for years, but the State refused to budge on the position that there were no Coyotes in Delaware. There were even pictures printed in the paper of Coyotes running along the Beach in one of our State Parks, and the game commission said it was stray dogs.

Finally a farmer shot one that was killing his fowl, took it to the State DNRec office in the capital and dropped it on their front desk, suddenly they had a ton of press releases about Coyotes in Delaware.

They did the same thing with Bobcat, denied for years there were any left, but I had heard them and seen their tracks first hand in a tract of State land just south of here. One jumped out of a tree onto a Turkey hunter a few years ago, tore the guy up pretty bad before he managed to shoot it, all of a sudden we magically had a breeding population of Bobcat.

Pennsylvania is denying that there are Cougars in Schuylkill County, yet my Dad has a picture of one crossing a field behind his house. The game commission says "We don't know what it is, but it can't be a cougar, we don't have them around here."

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
Wow. Great Pics.

I am a wildlife biologist here in Northern Utah. I mostly work on ski area expansions and how they will impact wildlife and habitat. The hottest button out there right now is lynx. We are at about the southern tip of their range (especially when I work on Colorado such as in Crested Butte).

I write 50+ page documents analyzing the impacts to this one species alone for the Forest Service and Fish and Wildlife Service. The sad truth, I have never seen one in the wild.

Great pics.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 05:25:03 pm »
i saw 2 in different locations here in western colorado this spring,  not more than 55 miles from the utah border, so i dont see why you wouldnt have em thomashton,  just wish i'd had my camera. btw they say the same thing about wolves here in this area and we've killed several harrasing calves
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

anything