Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One Last Hurrah?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
One Last Hurrah?
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:23:10 am »
Got a call yesterday about bees in an attic.  I asked the homeowner if the bees could stay until spring to increase their chance of survival and he told me the bees must go now.  Either I come and get them or he's spraying as his wife is getting repeated stung in the house.  I figure that with me at least they have a chance.  I'm already nursing two hives through the winter, so what's one more, right?  :-D  The girls just moved in this year, so I'm hoping it's not going to be too bad of a job.  At least I won't be hanging from a ladder 30' in the air this time, I hope! :shock:  I hope the girls like moving to their new home.  I guess we'll find out this weekend.....  I'll keep ya'll posted, and try to remember to take my camera.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: One Last Hurrah?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:42:23 pm »
Good Luck to you!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:07:01 pm »
I hope you have enough baby bottles to nurse all these bees all winter.   :-D

And we are waiting for the pics of the cut out.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:46:34 pm »
attics suck if they are not tall enough to stand in.  if you have to do one in a tight space, take duct tape and tape up your pants, sleeves, etc.  wear HEAVY clothes. take a red light.  i make the mistake of taking a shop light and it was not at all helpful to have all the bees globbed on the light.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:39:36 pm »
Kathy,  So instead of a vac, take a shop light?   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
oh no.  take both.  that way you can vacuum the bees off the shop light!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:42 pm »
Good luck with it....bring us back pics!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Good luck - and at this time of year - hope they don't turn out to be yellowjackets!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything