Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: granulated sugar on newspaper  (Read 2007 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
granulated sugar on newspaper
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:57:41 pm »
I am, unfortunately, having to try emergency feeding with granulated sugar on newspaper on the top bars for the first time.  When I need to add sugar I foresee shredded newspaper between the top bars and some remaining sugar on the top bars.  So, do you just scrape off the remaining sugar (angering the bees eating it at that moment) and start over with a fresh sheet of newspaper?  Or will there be enough newspaper left between top bars to simply pour more sugar in without sugar falling between the frames?  I realize you can not say for sure what I will find but what is typical?  And how quickly will bees go thru 10 pounds of sugar?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: granulated sugar on newspaper
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:32:24 pm »
My mentor used butcher paper and placed moist granulated sugar on it.  He cut the paper so that the bees could climb onto it from each side and the ends of the frame.  Cut the paper about an inch smaller in each direction and then place it on top the frames and ladle on the damp sugar.  The butcher paper holds up better with the water added to the sugar.  The bees will chew up the paper and toss it out over time. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:51 am »
Put a winter's supply of sugar on and don't worry about it until spring.  Then you can dump it into a bucket and make syrup out of it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar

If you don't want to put that much in, then wait for a cold day when the bees won't be on it, add another sheet of paper on top and put the sugar there.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »
If you use sugar blocks, you can just and another along side when the first gets low.   Easier to clean up the excess in the Spring too.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/emergency-feeding/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:05 pm »
OK, thanks guys.  Very much appreciated.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

anything