Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best way to feed new package  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
Best way to feed new package
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »
I will pick up and install 2 new packages tomorrow.  It is still cold here, highs 40 to 50  lows 15 to 20 for next week.  One will be new, indrawn frames, as this is first langstroth hive the other a KTBH that winter killed.

How is best to feed the new package with these temps for the nest week?  Does s top feeder work or is frame feeder better.  I am nervous for these bees.  All thoughts are welcome.  Thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Best way to feed new package
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:57:48 pm »
I like a frame feeder.    But they all will work.   

Offline Fox Creek

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:59 am »
    I too am picking up more bees tomorrow. Your weather is a bit more of a problem for you. You may want to feed sugar. As in "dry" granulated. In my experience the bees accept the sugar just fine. Either in a frame feeder or on top of a sheet of newspaper over the frames. Cut a couple of openings in the paper so the bees will take notice. You will need to use an empty super on top to make room. The bees will not take syrup if it is too cold. You may want to check out M. Bush's web site. He explains this better than I. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:53:27 am by Fox Creek »

Offline Fox Creek

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:08 am »
    Sorry Sunnyboy2. I failed to advise you to use "DRY" sugar. You probably wondered what the heck I was talking about. Not too late to look into this though. 

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »
if it's cold...use dry sugar.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:18:33 am »
Dry sugar is good as emergency feed. It does little to promote brood rearing. What are your day and night temps?
We  often get packages in march here when it's really cold. Check out feeding with a quail feeder here and adapt as necessary.
Package feeding.MP4

The bees also need moisture to process dry sugar.A strong hive will produce plenty of moisture but I'm not sure if a package will produce enough condensation to process the sugar.

anything