Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varrora Mite ?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline larry tate

• New Bee
Varrora Mite ?
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:47 am »
I was looking at some hives yesterday and saw maybe 6 -8 dead v mites on the landing board. Weather was in the high 50s and the bees were flying. Normally the temp. will stay below 50 this time of year. Should I try to treat at this time of year and if what type would be recommended? Thanks

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Varrora Mite ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:33 am »
How long since you'd cleaned the board off?  If it had been a few days(even 24 hours), I wouldn't sweat it for that few mites, especially considering the temps.

They're pretty ubiquitous, and also seem to drop quicker in the cold weather.

Rick

Rick

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:25 pm »
I believe this is exactly the time of year that you would do an application of oxalic acid solution.  When they are likely to be broodless.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 11:27:19 pm »
I believe this is exactly the time of year that you would do an application of oxalic acid solution.  When they are likely to be broodless.

Exactly... Oxalic Acid treatment is most effective when there is no brood, as that way there are no mites that don't get treated.  From what I understand though, it works best when it is above freezing.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:25:06 am »
All treatments are most effective when there is not brood.  All treatments upset the balance of the hive in one way or another.  Oxalic acid will kill off many probiotic microbes

The real question is how many are on the bottom board and over how long a period.  Slip a sticky board in for 48 hours and see what you get.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:34:14 am »
All treatments are most effective when there is not brood.  

But OA trickling is the only method which you can use in middle of  winter.

Oxalic acid will kill off many probiotic microbes

The real question is how many are on the bottom board and over how long a period.  Slip a sticky board in for 48 hours and see what you get.

This idea I have not seen for many years.  It has nothing to do with bees' wellfare.

I have now here -15C frost and next night -24C. It is better that probitotic creatures find a better place to live.
Language barrier NOT included

anything