Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody know of any feral hives in Melbourne? I'm interested in having a crack  (Read 20736 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I hope it goes well mate.. Take plenty of pictures. Are you getting all these referrals off the Beek register you mentioned to me?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I forgot to ask with the others, but this one certainly was from that site.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I definitely have to register on it...

I read somewhere you have some KI Ligurians Phil-how do you find them?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
hi
   i would also talk to the fire wood cutters,i got two hives  out separate trees week ago .from a post cutter.i left my boxes there heading back this week to pick them up,didn't see any queens.young feller told me plenty activity at hives.if there no queens i join them up with a weak hive.ma by even let tree loppers no .at times they would have come across bees

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I'll do that, thanks westmar... How was the cutout Phil?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
 :(

I was still trying to finish the vac and ran out of time. I now have to wait for a good time to collect them now.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Bummer... Weather doesn't look like it's going to be flash for the near future atleast... I went in to my hive in Saturday-amazing seeing the differences as they're gearing down for winter-very little brood, mostly capped/almost capped honey and pollen. Lots and lots of bees!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee

They seem more friendly than the caucasians. Less prone to attack if I take too long with the hive open.

They didn't fill up the super as quick as the other hive, but they started off smaller. Besides the colour, I guess not alot.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee

They seem more friendly than the caucasians. Less prone to attack if I take too long with the hive open.

They didn't fill up the super as quick as the other hive, but they started off smaller. Besides the colour, I guess not alot.

I'm thinking about re-queeing a swarm that, hopefully, i will get in spring with a KI Ligurian and see how they go- i've heard they're good producers and quiet... albeit if they're anymore quiet than my current Italian X Carniolan hive they will probably be asleep!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I'm thinking about re-queeing a swarm that, hopefully, i will get in spring with a KI Ligurian and see how they go- i've heard they're good producers and quiet... albeit if they're anymore quiet than my current Italian X Carniolan hive they will probably be asleep!
I was thinking of doing the same with my caucs. I received them as an ex feral so I have no real certainty how old the queen is. She could be from last Sept as the bees turned very black after a few weeks. I really haven't decided yet.

I went down to Redpaths last week to get some boxes to keep me busy over winter and they only had 2 left. Next shipment comes in in July. I'm using them for my vac collection boxes and have to pick up some more boxes elsewhere. I want to make sure I have plenty of supplies come spring for swarms and to extend my two existing hives upwards.

I'm building some of those hinged frames for putting feral comb in at a cut out. Just interested to see how they compare.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I was thinking of doing the same with my caucs. I received them as an ex feral so I have no real certainty how old the queen is. She could be from last Sept as the bees turned very black after a few weeks. I really haven't decided yet.

I went down to Redpaths last week to get some boxes to keep me busy over winter and they only had 2 left. Next shipment comes in in July. I'm using them for my vac collection boxes and have to pick up some more boxes elsewhere. I want to make sure I have plenty of supplies come spring for swarms and to extend my two existing hives upwards.

I'm building some of those hinged frames for putting feral comb in at a cut out. Just interested to see how they compare.

The good thing with re-queening is it doesnt take too long for the hive to take on the characteristics of the Queen!

Sounds like most other people have the same idea bout having something to tie them over for the winter! Sunrise apiaries in Geelong are quite good price wise - i've met the guy personally and he's great! I really hope i can jump on the swarm bandwagon come spring!

I reckon those hinged frames are a gret idea! so much less stress! and the good thing is you'd be able to embed the wires in the comb if you wanted and just use them as normal frames and swap them out over time.

Have you been able tos chedule that cut out down in Moorabbin yet?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Have you been able tos chedule that cut out down in Moorabbin yet?

No, I'm flat out at work at the moment so I can't take an afternoon off during the week. I have to wait for a good weekend which is going to be darn hard to find now.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
hi every one
                 phil have you found much hive beetle in any ferrail bees.the two i saved up at miles the hives were full of hive beetle i was very supprised as it was very remote location.wonder how much damage this is going to do to to wild bees.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Hi Westmar, No hive beetle yet. Apparently it's only been found in a couple of places in Vic so far.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
hi
    very lucky down there talking to a bloke took his bees to the coast for the tee tree they are losing hives to the beetle.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
hi
    very lucky down there talking to a bloke took his bees to the coast for the tee tree they are losing hives to the beetle.

Yeah, that was one of the places I'd heard they had the beetle.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Hey Ozbuzz, you busy tomorrow afternoon? Going to look at a feral in a chimney. The house is being demolished in the next couple of weeks and the guy is concerned about safety.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
G'day Mate,

I'll drop you an SMS - should be able to come and lend a hand.

A chimney sounds interesting! should be some nice long combs in there!