Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet another syrup question--  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
Yet another syrup question--
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
Please tell me which syrup recipe works best this time of year to encourage comb building.  I'm thinking 5:3 is a good bet.  I have six hives (new this year) and just added an extra medium super to each one a few weeks ago.  I'm hoping they'll get them filled with honey and syrup before it gets too cold.  Right now, we're still having highs of 75 during the day.

Most of the new supers are at about 75% drawn and 1/4 full, but I have one hive that just doesn't seem interested in drawing comb at all.  I want to entice them with the right syrup.  I've fed them 1:1 recently but they either ignored it or got frustrated with the ants that discovered it.  I think that's why they are behind all the other hives in drawing comb.

I'll be feeding all of them 2:1 in a week or so to help with winter stores.  Right now they're bringing in the Goldenrod honey and pollen.  Slow but steady.

Thanks for your input-
Nelly

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Yet another syrup question--
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:46:23 pm »
Please tell me which syrup recipe works best this time of year to encourage comb building.  I'm thinking 5:3 is a good bet.  I have six hives (new this year) and just added an extra medium super to each one a few weeks ago.  I'm hoping they'll get them filled with honey and syrup before it gets too cold.  Right now, we're still having highs of 75 during the day.

Most of the new supers are at about 75% drawn and 1/4 full, but I have one hive that just doesn't seem interested in drawing comb at all.  I want to entice them with the right syrup.  I've fed them 1:1 recently but they either ignored it or got frustrated with the ants that discovered it.  I think that's why they are behind all the other hives in drawing comb.

I'll be feeding all of them 2:1 in a week or so to help with winter stores.  Right now they're bringing in the Goldenrod honey and pollen.  Slow but steady.

Thanks for your input-
Nelly

To make a 1 gallon container full of syrup take 5 lbs of sugar to 3 pints of water.   You'll have a little head room left to put the lid on.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:55 am »

Your slow to consume syrup hive may be telling you that it has a queen problem.
Hives that do not consume their syrup or pollen patties are usually queenless.
Regards,
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »
Ernie,

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll check the queen.

Nelly

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:02:59 pm »
Brian, what ratio does your 5 Lb sugar 3 pints water "recipe" make?
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:05 pm »
I think they actually call this 5:3 !
Check these posts:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,17721.0.html

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:49 pm »
Yes, Greg, it was determined on another thread that 1lb sugar = 1 pint, and 1 lb water = 1 cup... therefore 5lbs sugar : 3 cups water is a 5:3 ratio syrup.

1 pint sugar : 1 cup sugar is a 1:1
2 pints sugar : 1 cup water is a 2:1

So still wondering whether this is the right syrup to initiate comb building????

Nelly

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:05:01 pm »
Brian, what ratio does your 5 Lb sugar 3 pints water "recipe" make?

2.5 quarts syrup.
Actually I miss typed: 5lb sugar to 5 pints water makes exactly (+/-) one gallon of 1:1.

Yes, Greg, it was determined on another thread that 1lb sugar = 1 pint, and 1 lb water = 1 cup... therefore 5lbs sugar : 3 cups water is a 5:3 ratio syrup.

1 pint sugar : 1 cup sugar is a 1:1
2 pints sugar : 1 cup water is a 2:1

So still wondering whether this is the right syrup to initiate comb building????

Nelly

For comb building 1:1 or 1.5:1 is best.  I usually feed 1.5:1 as it speeds up the process.  5:3 will allow some comb building also but not as vigorous.  Anything heavier than 5:3 goes straight to stores.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:25:31 pm »
Well I was trying to feed 2:1 but actually was feeding 1:1. I buy sugar dust which is going for .25 a pound. It is great I mix it in 5 gal buckets and can be done start to finish in less then 5 min. It dissolves very quickly. The dust takes up more volume then granulated sugar does so initially I had weight some and figured out the mixture. Some where along the way I forgot and ended up still mixing 1:1 instead of my intended 2:1. I think I am fixed up now. I have already given them over 200 pounds of sugar this year and they still seem lite. I hope for some good goldenrod flow, but just bought 500 more pounds of dust to keep feeding.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:41:16 pm »
Well, they turned their noses up to the 1:1 I offered them, goldenrod flow is going on, so I'll give them a better check here in a day or so and see how they fared with the 5:3, and also check the queen.  We've had a steady rain the past few days.

Nelly

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:09 am »
You might consider bumping that 1:1 up to 2:1 to prevent spoilage.
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 12:10:46 am »
add this to your mix and they will take anything                                                                                                    http://honeybhealthy.com/             :lol:  RDY-B

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 06:30:33 am »
Anything?  Are you just talking syrup?  Mine turn their noses up at pollen patties.  Should I be adding lemon grass oil to the patties?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:41 am »
Anything?  Are you just talking syrup?  Mine turn their noses up at pollen patties.  Should I be adding lemon grass oil to the patties?

They usually do.  Pollen patties are a limited use item.  Use it in early spring for a very short period to help stimulate brood production.  The reason I say a very short period is that it is an AHB lure and if left on very long will produce a SHB problem where there wasn't one before.  I don't use pollen patties at all, period.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:39 am »
Does location matter?  Here in Maryland we have extended dry spells where we feed 1/2 pound patty in the late summer or fall. 

Thanks,
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:42 am »
It's my understanding that 2:1 will be so thick, it'll just get stored immediately or consumed. I'm looking to stimulate comb building.  So it's either 1:1 or 5:3, from what I've gathered from everyone's posts here.  Will post again when I've checked the hive.

Nelly

anything