Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time of day?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Time of day?
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:12:40 am »
I note almost all cutouts are being done in the latter part of the day.  Is this just the way things worked and these folks aren't just later day people?  Or, is there a specific reason to do this late.  I do understand that hives get left to gather the bees at nightfall.  Can one just go get the hive early on the following morning?  I ask because I want to do cutouts, but I am not a late day person.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Time of day?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:08 am »
Don't know about the others, but It takes me most of the day to get everything loaded and ready to go.
Also, I want it to warm up enough for the foragers to be in the field, not the hive, so I never start a cut out before 10 or 11.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:29:34 pm »
then you are talking about the hours that the cutout itself take.  don't know that i have ever done one in under 3 hours, start to finish. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:28:36 pm »
I schedule mine for late in the day since I also have other customers to check in on and when I'm done with a cut out I'm done for the day. I also find that if I finish right at dusk I can catch the last of the foragers returning.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:37 am »
and then we got jp who is  someway, gona be late for his own funeral. dat boy just cant get cranking   what you say to this shawee?
to bee or not to bee

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:33:42 am »
 :-D
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:43 am »
Bud I have to agree with what you said with Jp. When he tell me we need to get an early stArt to be at his house lets say 10am he will be ready at maybe 12noon. That's why we start the cutouts late. Just saying :-D
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 12:29:36 pm »
Yeah, but y'all left out the BSing, feeding the dogs, letting out the chickens...  :-D

Just to add my thoughts on this: Cut outs can be done in the morning, even finished in entirety well before dark but if you don't leave the new set up there and seal it in the dark you will leave behind quite a many bees which the customer will not be happy with. Besides the colony could likely use those extras that are out foraging.

If the situation presents itself I don't have a problem leaving the new set up on site for a few days to several days then picking it up another night. An added benefit to leaving it there also allows the bees to clean up any spilled honey. Just to add, its important when leaving a hive that either the queen has been caged, the void space sealed so they can't go back in or the area sprayed down heavy with something like beee quick.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »
oh,and don't forget the snakes,frogs ,lizzards and no telling what else.thank god liz takes care of her rabbit. :-D
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
 :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything