Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I've met Understudy!  (Read 3727 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
I've met Understudy!
« on: February 24, 2007, 07:24:02 pm »
Lucky me - Understudy is in Atlanta and he came to my house for lunch today.  After all his fabulous adventures cutting bees out of boats, compost piles, rooftops, etc, he was very positive and enthusiastic about my two hives on my deck.  I took a picture of him in between them to prove he really did come to see me!  I have read and enjoyed his posts this whole year I've been on this site and it was so special to get to meet him in person.

Linda T in Atlanta where the bees were out in force today

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I've met Understudy!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:15:05 am »
bummer....i was supposed to go to atlanta with hubby this last week.  didn't make it because the weather here was so bad and i had no horse sitter.  we could have had a party!!   :-D

good pic btw....you look like you keep very neat hives.  is that a deck attached to your house?  how does that work out for you?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:36:04 am »
Yeah, they are on my deck about 10 feet from the door to my sunporch.  I have a table on the sunporch where I eat many of my meals so that I can watch the bees as mealtime entertainment!  The only drawback is that at night sometimes they come inside my house through the dog door.  I let the dogs out the kitchen door and turn on the back light by my kitchen about 15 feet from the hives and the bees in the summer are drawn to the light as they are to the sun.  Then they come in on the backs of the dogs.

I try to do what randydrivesabus recommended to me - cover them with a glass, slide a postcard under it and return them to the outdoors, but often they commit suicide on the lights in cans on my den ceiling before I can accomplish that.

Linda T

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:41:14 am »
Well there goes the neighborhood. :-D

I had a fabulous time with tillie. She was a completly wonderful to me and made me an incredible lunch. We chatting away for several hours and had a great time.
She has two awesome hive that make her award winning honey. She has been helping with the some of the new beekeepers through the local beekeeping course, which is just awesome. And she makes wonderful chocolate chip cookies.   :-D

How a scruff like me ever got into a nice place like hers is a wonder.

I will post photos when I get back from Twt's place.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:28:06 am »
Linda, very nicely set up hives.  YOu are lucky to have them so close to be able to observe even during a food break. Good for you.  And especially nice that you and Brendhan got to get together and share some nice companionship.  It is a nice thing that people can share different aspects of their lives with each other as so done.  Best of awesome days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 07:28:56 pm »
And here are some pictures I took.
Very nice hives.

It is just way to cold in Atlanta.

tillie and here hives.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:41:18 pm »
what do you mean cold? for us cold is 35 or below. I'll trade you any day.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:14 am »
Right on!!!  Great days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 06:21:24 pm »
Well, we would have met Understudy too, if we'd made the connections sooner (we came home from our Georgia visit on Saturday, left on Thursday, got the PM on Sunday...)  :(  It would have been nice.  I have a feeling we'll be going back down again for some bee lessons, maybe we'll meet more bee people then (where's TWT?)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 06:43:04 pm »
What a great story
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »
reinbeau, TWT is in Linclolnton, Georgia/
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 05:29:28 pm »
Reinbeau,

There are lots of friendly beekeepers in Georgia - next time you are down this way, come by - I'd love to meet ya'll, as we say down here.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:39:19 pm »
I will definitely post earlier next time we go down there, and I'm sure we'll be going back to see John someday!