Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from NE Ohio / Western NY  (Read 1917 times)

Offline crumbdav

• Brood
Greetings from NE Ohio / Western NY
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:27:59 pm »
Greetings all;

My name is David and I am an aspiring beekeeper.  I have quietly been intrigued by bees for a number of years.  Still in the reading and discovery phase as my current living situation now is not conducive to beekeeping.

My parents place on the other hand..........

Im going up to my parents (farm) and convincing them to house a single hive (probably between my moms garden and the alfalfa field)

if I may interject some REALLY basic questions, which Im sure my parents would ask.

1.  if I place the hive next to the garden, and my mom is working in the garden, what risk would she face?  Same goes if she's mowing the lawn.

2.  I do believe that my father sprays the alfalfa fields for dandelions.  What risks does this have to the bees?  Is there anything I can do to minimize this?

Im also going up to spec out some land in my familys area which is for sale, in addition to the farm behind there, as an older lady has been living there for years.  Would be nice to live near my family.

Anyways.. I've had fun here reading and I hope it to continue.

Im going to beat the welcome committee to the punch and wish YOU ALL a glorious day!  hehe

Laterz guys,

--Dave

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from NE Ohio / Western NY
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »
glad you finally spoke up!!  :-)

i can't answer all your questions, but you might help convince your mom about the hive by pointing out the increased yield in her garden from having the bees around.  your spray question probably depends on what kind of spray he uses and when he sprays.  there are sprays i use that will not bother the bees as long as they do not come in contact with the spray.  i spray late or early when the bees are not around.  dandelions are great for bees, but not so great mixed in with your hay.  guess you can't have it both ways  :-)

try for at least 2 hives.  that way you can use one to boost another if you need to.  it's to easy to lose one just because you can't rescue it with brood,  etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:36:50 am »
Dave, welcome to our forum, I am late, I have been swamped with life.  This is wonderful that you are studying so much about the bees and want to indulge in their beautiful little lives.  Great.  You will have questions, as you have already asked, they will get answers, but you may have to ask more again in a different part of the forum.  All questions are important and will receive answers.  You already have some answers given here by Kathy.  Welcome, when you get your bees, you will want to share your experiences, we are that sharing centre.  We love to hear stories that people tell, and we listen with keen interest.  Welcome again, have that most beautiful and greatfully wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:57:39 am »
Dave, as colonies grow in size they tend to become more defensive, but that doesn't mean they will become a problem, but you never know.

Some colonies let you mow right next to them, others don't like it, or weed eaters, can't tell you what they're gonna do for sure, as hives have different personalities.

Seal the colonies before you spray, I would say at night or before daylight and do the spraying in the morning on a sunny day, so the sun can dry the product you use, after the sun has done its thing, I would then open the hives and let them out.

Bare in mind that bees are very sensitive to chemicals, so please bare this in mind when you choose one, as environmentally friendly for the bees and you of course. And read the label carefully.

And start with two hives, this way you can have resources from a strong hive to bolster the strength of a weak one. Who knows, you may wind up with two strong ones but it sure is nice to have the resources if you need them.

Glad you stopped by, and welcome to the world of beekeeping!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:50:20 am »
>Im going up to my parents (farm) and convincing them to house a single hive (probably between my moms garden and the alfalfa field)

As mentioned, two is a MUCH better idea.

>1.  if I place the hive next to the garden, and my mom is working in the garden, what risk would she face?  Same goes if she's mowing the lawn.

If the hive is not facing the garden, no more than she faces now.

>2.  I do believe that my father sprays the alfalfa fields for dandelions.  What risks does this have to the bees?  Is there anything I can do to minimize this?

That would be an herbicide.  In theory that wouldn't do much harm to bees.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything