Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: to much brood and not enough honey  (Read 8394 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: to much brood and not enough honey
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 01:40:45 pm »
I, but if I remove the excluder, how can I eat honey that has brood extracted with it?

Now need help again with this new development.

Annette

Annette, what method of extraction do you use? if you use an extractor wait until the brood is sealed off and then you can extract. They will be unaffected. This is what i had to do for the first 2 extractions i did and i had the same concern. It will mean waiting a few extra days however. If you are still uncomfortable with this then you will just have to wait until they emerge/hatch and hope her majesty doesn't get there before you or her subjects

I use a regular extractor. I took the queen excluder off this morning because they were not going through it anyway. Will wait until they draw out wax comb and place something in the cells and then I will try again to introduce the queen excluder. I do not want to deal with any brood in my honey supers. Michael Bush states that the brood stays together and not all over the place, so I believe they will start making honey in this super now. I will let everyone know what they make in this super.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 03:01:11 pm »
>I believe they will start making honey in this super now

Or fill it full of brood.  :)  The point is that the brood will be together, not all over.  If they need someplace to put brood I'd rather they put it in the hive instead of swarming.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 12:33:12 pm »
>I have noticed it has increased my hive's production by atleast 50%.

Good ventilation will do that.  And the holes will give you good ventilation.  But so will SBB (Screened Bottom Boards), Slatted Racks, top entrances etc.

But then again MB, slatted Racks + top entrances take money. I suppose all things have positives and negatives. :)

Jake

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
>But then again MB, slatted Racks + top entrances take money.

Slatted racks take money.  Top entrances take a stick to prop the lid up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »
 :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
You might not have a good number of nectar collectors yet.  These are apparently all young bees.  Give it another week or so for more of them to mature.  In the meantime, go queen go.  You want a strong workforce.  When the nectar comes in the bees will cap her off and force her back down.

Guess what my dear people

Went into the hive today and found out that lots of brood hatched out this past week and they have filled up those frames  with honey. So this is correct. The queen must be making her way down again, because I saw lots and lots of frames filled with honey. this is very exciting.  They are doing a great job of filling up that top super now  and I will try the queen excluder once again this weekend. I have been watching this top super to see the progress and they are moving right along. I probably do not even need this excluder now since I believe the queen is probably making her way down, but I will give it a try.

Thanks for the help
Annette awaiting some honey in Placerville California

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 07:38:18 pm »
just make sure you recheck your honey supers in a few days.  you want to make sure you don't trap the queen up there.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 08:42:56 pm »
Yes I am going to keep a close eye on this super to make sure there is no brood being made. If I see any,of course, off goes the excluder again.

I appreciate all your input

Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 01:37:52 am »
If you're using SBB and have some old solid BB around, just turn them over, put them on top for use as a top entrance.  Works like a charm and saves money.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
Sounds like the bees are doing it for you and you don't need a queen excluder.  This is the way its supposed to work.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 05:24:12 pm »
Yes, I am beginning (finally) to understand it all now.

Will let you know how it all goes

Thanks for the help
annette