Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ...missed one.  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
...missed one.
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:12:59 pm »
We had animal control out yesterday over some suspected cow killing dogs (I made the call, they almost matched the description but they weren't the dogs) anyhow, the animal control saw the beehives and my wife mentioned I may get into swarm capturing, I'm inexperienced I know but I never learn until I get my hands dirty.  The dog cop said he had a call from someone about a swarm, told him they don't do bees but kept the number anyway. gave me the number.
     I called the guy and he knew where the bees came from and the keeper (next door to him) refused to come get them. (the last swarm built in his air conditioner and the keeper got stuck with the repair bill.)
 long story short - the swarm moved on before I got the number.
 I just posted because I find it strange that a beekeeper would refuse to get a swarm he knows -or could believe- is his.
and I'm thinking of getting friendlies with the sherrif's office and fire dept. about swarms.
be happy and make others happy.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: ...missed one.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:25:21 pm »
commercial beekeepers don't chase swarms.  i have a friend who has a  berry farm.  the bees she has in for pollination swarm all the time.  she calls me.  he's not interested.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:31:13 pm »
thanks for the explanation; I'll be posting a pic of my swarm-ready topbar hive in another topic shortly.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:16 pm »
sounds like you just got into the swarm catching business.

good luck with it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

anything