Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If they are light on stores???  (Read 2429 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
If they are light on stores???
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:22:53 pm »
 They are not taking much 2/1 syrup but there are still several drawn frames with nothing stored in them.

Would it be OK to take these frames out, pour syrup on them, brush the syrup gently into the cells and reinstall them?

OK...Confession .. I've already done it , so the question is will there be any problem ?

Thanks, Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: If they are light on stores???
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:55:27 pm »
>OK...Confession .. I've already done it , so the question is will there be any problem ?

No problem.  It works fine.

But remember they need some empty space to cluster, but I assume they are clustered there already.

Some dry sugar on top could help:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar

I fed that this year for the first time, but Mountain Camp on Beesource does it every year.  I sprayed it with some water so it would clump and more at the edge so they would get interested and it worked.  They are actually eating it now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:05:57 am »
If your still worried that they don't have enough stores,  you could also give them some sugar candy.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/emergency-feeding/

More work then dry sugar,  but less messy in the hive and I also think they get better access to it.  It will also absorb some of the moisture from the hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:16:32 am »
Thanks for the quick replies. I think they are in pretty good shape. There were just a few empty frames and I felt better about doing something with them. I did try some sugar candy late last year and they seemed to like it ok. They weren't out of stores but again "I" felt better giving more.

Every year I experience more and know less.

Thanks, Ray

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:20:55 pm »

But remember they need some empty space to cluster, but I assume they are clustered there already.

Some dry sugar on top could help:

Hehehhe. They do no need empty cells or dry sugar.

If your still worried that they don't have enough stores,  you could also give them some sugar candy.
[

oooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr   candy. Syrup is enough what they need.

From where you invent all those tricks?

If hive is too cold they may stop their storing work or hive has too much space.

Just now Cincinnati's weather is too cold to winter feeding.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/OH/Cincinnati.html

At night syrup becomes too cold and will not become warmer during day. That is why I give warm syrup in the morning and bees are able to eat it.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:24:24 pm »
Finsky,

How do you feed your syrup when you're just feeding it in the morning? What sort of container? I noticed today that the one hive that I was still feeding syrup to had the syrup leak from the plasctic pail I was using. It wasn't much but I am taking it as a sign that it's too cold at night now for the pail to utilize it's vacuum pressure even though it's plastic (standard Brushy Mt 1 gal top feeding pail) so I'm taking it off. What's the most practical method to feed warm syrup in cold weather?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 02:58:33 pm »
How do you feed your syrup when you're just feeding it in the morning?

I rob all honey away from hives and then I am in a hurry to get them ready for winter.

If it is cold weather 0C - 10C I give warm syrup in the morning.  I mean, during night syrup becomes too cold and bees take it too slow. Bees take warm syrup during one day. Feeding box is 8 liter and I hive 2 boxes to one-box hive and 3 boxes to 2-box hive. On avverage I give 20 kg dry sugar per hive. It is for 9 months.

If they are not willing to start, put some honey into room where bees are.

What's the most practical method to feed warm syrup in cold weather?

In ultimate situation, when bees have started to hibernate, I pour syrup into combs and put frames into the hive. I may put syrup frames into another box and that box under the wintering box. It is quite a hum in the hiver and they need some days to get things into order.

If weather is good, temp about 15 C by day and night warm, it is same what you do.

I use commercial plastic boxes as feeder. I am very satisfied on them. I have  had them same boxes about 20 years. I have tried many home made systems.

Normally it takes 1 week, and all winter food is inside hives.

2 box hive  16 + 16 liter syrup during 2 days and then wait one week and hive the last 16 liter. Then feeding box away and warm inner cover on.

In spring I even capped frames between hives ....... or pour 5 kg sugar as syrup direct into combs.