Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Embedding wire technique  (Read 6762 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Embedding wire technique
« on: May 11, 2006, 06:04:19 pm »
I plan on cross wiring deep and medium frames. How many cross wires are appropriate?
When placing the foundation in the frame, are the wires on the same side of the foundation or on both sides before heating the wires to embed them?

Thanks, Ray.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Embedding wire technique
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:43:23 am »
I wire my deeps with 4 wires and alternate them from side to side on the foundation.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Embedding wire technique
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:15:57 am »
Robo, Thanks for the info. I've just started wiring and want to do a proper job. My learning curve is a lot slower than the bee's. I hope they let me catch up.
Ray

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
Re: Embedding wire technique
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:07:42 am »
Robo, I searched the experiment section of this forum to find the proper method of wiring wax foundation. I have recently posted in beemasters main topics asking for advice on how to wire and get the wire properly embedded in the wax.
From what I have read the wire must be 100% imbedded or the bees will not draw comb properly.
I found a site that said to use a 24 volt transformer to get the wires hot so they will melt into the wax.
I have been informed by many beeks that just pins alone are not enough to keep the foundation from warping, or falling apart during extraction.
I hear there is a tool with spurs on it for embedding wire as well. I have wired a deep frame and it looks very difficult to get this right.
Could you please advise? Thank you

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07:13 am »
A doorbell transformer, a light dimmer switch and a piano wire works great for cutting Styrofoam.  Cut are clean and straight.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:53 pm »
From what I have read the wire must be 100% imbedded or the bees will not draw comb properly.
Not true,  the bee will draw comb just fine around the wire.  In fact, I use and recommend wiring foundationless frames as well.

I found a site that said to use a 24 volt transformer to get the wires hot so they will melt into the wax.
Another simple method is to use a 12V car battery charger. 
I have been informed by many beeks that just pins alone are not enough to keep the foundation from warping, or falling apart during extraction.
I totally agree, push in pins are useless.  then support such a tiny area of the foundation that they easily break through with just a minimal force.
I hear there is a tool with spurs on it for embedding wire as well.
Yes there is,  I have never used one.

I wire the frames as tightly as I can by hand,  and then use one of these to tighten up the wire.

You want the wire tight enough so you get a nice high ping out of it.  Like plucking a guitar.   When you heat the wire to embed it in the wax,  it will loose some of it's tension.

Then I weave the foundation through the wires and install it in the frame.  So a deep with 4 wires would have wires 1 & 3 on one side of the foundation and wires 2 & 4 on the other side.

I then place the frame in a foundation board, which is basically a board that will fit inside the frame,  so when you lay the frame on it,  the foundation is supported by this board and the frame is floating off the bench.  This allows you to put some pressure on the wire and push it into the wax.

Then take the battery charger an touch opposite ends of a wire until it gets warm enough to soften the foundation.  The time depends on the charger/transformer you use.  It is a trial and error to get what is right for your set up.   Just don't keep it on for too long or you will melt right through the foundation and cut it in half.  As soon as you seen the wax changing color by the wire, remove the charger and immediately take your fingers and press the wire into the wax until the wax sets.   It does not have to be entirely embedded.   The purpose of the wire is to keep the foundation from sagging until the bees draw it out.  Do the two wire on the top side and then flip the frame over and do the two wires on the other side.

Hope this helps.

Rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »
Thank you very much, i did complete 5 deep frames and did use battery charger first on 6 volt and then on 12 although I did not weave the foundation in and out. It worked pretty well. I will now try weaving it and see how it works.
Thank you again for responding so quickly :-D

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:30:41 am »
Not only does the crimper make the wire tight, it distributes the stress differently so it doesn't cut through the wax so much and holds much better.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything