Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding motor to hand crank honey extractor  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Tommy

• New Bee
Adding motor to hand crank honey extractor
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:27 pm »
I have a Vivo BEE-V004 manual 4/8 frame honey extractor and would like to put a motor on it.   Any suggestions other than buy one with a motor??!!!!  Does anyone have experience doing this that can share any pointers with me, like where to get a motor, how long did it last,  is it even worth trying to do this?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Adding motor to hand crank honey extractor
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 01:16:10 am »
You can get a 1/4 or half HP electric motor and use pullies with belts or cogs and chains. Or if you can mount it directly to shaft with Lovejoy connection. I use a 1/2 HP electric with belts and a router speed controller. This works great for my homebuilt six deep frame radial extractor.

John

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
Did you check with Vivo to see if they had a kit?

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:52:57 pm »
Find a tread mill for free that has a working motor and a mechanic or machinist if you need one that likes honey .

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »
My first question is how much honey (cycles) do you expect to do?  The simplest thing to do is to use a variable speed drill and just clamp in on the hand crank shaft.  But if you have fifty hives then you will probably want hands free.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:58:26 pm »
You can get a 1/4 or half HP electric motor and use pullies with belts or cogs and chains. Or if you can mount it directly to shaft with Lovejoy connection. I use a 1/2 HP electric with belts and a router speed controller. This works great for my homebuilt six deep frame radial extractor.

John

I would think the speed controller is key because to want the speed to ramp up evenly
Neill

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 12:12:38 am »
Hi Tommy, I am over in Whitfield Community, near Ovett.  I have a tread mill motor on the extractor I have.  I got part of the guts from The Bizz, that used to see on here, and have them in a food grade 55 gal. drum.  Got the tread mill from Dirt cheap in Petal several years ago for $5.00. Had a new shaft made for it.  You can get all the speed you can want, when I first got it going cranked it up with 8 new medium frames in it and one came apart.  Don't go that fast.  last 4 of ph# 7389 listed in Ovett.  Give me a holler.

Good luck to you and your bees

Joe D

Offline Tommy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:07:43 pm »
Thanks to all for your help. Vivo could not help me with a motor. I am getting one from King Honey and thanks again. 

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:21:33 pm »
My first question is how much honey (cycles) do you expect to do?  The simplest thing to do is to use a variable speed drill and just clamp in on the hand crank shaft.  But if you have fifty hives then you will probably want hands free.

When I built my 9 frame radial they wanted $AUS1300 - $AUS1800 for a variable speed extractor specific motor.

Brought a high torque, low speed (550rpm max) variable speed  reversible drill designed to stir paint for $AUS64. Works a treat. Did rig up a holder and trigger clamp but needs to be modified to be more user friendly  :wink:
David L

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:15:16 pm »

When I built my 9 frame radial they wanted $AUS1300 - $AUS1800 for a variable speed extractor specific motor.

Brought a high torque, low speed (550rpm max) variable speed  reversible drill designed to stir paint for $AUS64. Works a treat. Did rig up a holder and trigger clamp but needs to be modified to be more user friendly  :wink:

We if you can find a foot pedal speed controller for a sewing machine or a dial speed controller for a router. That will allow you to have free control of speed and your hands free t work the frames or keep the extractor stedy.

John

anything