Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I TRAPPED A SWARM  (Read 27384 times)

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
I TRAPPED A SWARM
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:17:07 pm »
THAT'S RIGHT I FOUND A SWARM IN ONE OF MY FIVE TRAPS I PUT OUT......,...OMG ......THIS ONE ABOUT 4 DAYS AGO.....OMG..............NOW WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM??????? :?

Moots

Re: I TRAPPED A SWARM
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »
Hummelkurt,

Congratulations!!! X:X

I'm more than a bit jealous....I'm a new Beek but have had 5 swarm traps out for probably a month now and I'm still 0-For!  :(

Many of experienced folks on here can offer some solid advice, but if I'm not mistaken, don't be in a hurry to take it down....give them a few days to get established.

Good Luck!  :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »
So it's swarm season in "hopelessly lost" right now?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
So it's swarm season in "hopelessly lost" right now?

Michael,
LOL!  I've grown tired of pointing that out to new forum members and explaining the importance of providing a location.   :)

I actually wish the administrators would consider making it a required field as part of the sign up process. Maybe throwing in a brief explanation as to the importance of it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:13:04 pm »
what do you want to do with them?   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
Put them to work!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:24:26 pm »
what do you want to do with them?   :-D
I would like to make them my third hive in my yard. I just lost my third hive over the winter. I have 3 extra hive boxes. My question is how to remove them from one of the tree knot hole in a tree papier mache type traps. Other questions I would like answered please are best time of day to remove them, spray them with sugar water and dump them into new hive body(?). I only have 1 extra drawn cone frame to put into the new box; it's a 10-frame deep. Any help anybody has would be deeply appreciated.
I CAUGHT THEM IN WEST MONROE, LOUISIANA. THEY JUST GOT THERE YESTERDAY AND IT WAS 41 DEGREES OVERNIGHT LAST NIGHT.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
Cut and paste.   Cut out the comb they are now making and tie/rubberband the comb into new frames. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:22:17 pm »
check out the removal section and look at a video of a cut out.  JP and Co. have some really good ones.  I think hardwood has put some up.  you'll get the general idea about moving comb from where it is into a frame then hive.

make sure you put it in the frame right side up.  rubber bands make it easy.  new comb is fragile.  if you can put them in a hive with drawn comb in the extra frames, so much the better.

if you are not sure of something take some pictures and get one of the moderators to post them for you until you have enough posts to put up your own pictures.  we'll try to help you keep it all straight   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:46 pm »
hive them as soon as possible, don't even try to save anything but eggs and lava. new comb to fragile
to bee or not to bee

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »
That's what I thought I had read was hive quickly Thank You

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:13:52 am »
I PUT THEM IN A DEPTH 10 FRAME THIS MORNING. IT WAS A LITTLE TOO COLD, A FEW DIED OUTSIDE THE BOX, NOT MANY. LOOKING FOR MORE IN THE TRAPS.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:35 pm »
ALL THE REMAINING BEES LEFT THE SWARM TRAP HOPEFULLY FOR THE HIVE BODY AS OF DARK 30 WEDNESDAY NIGHT. I LOVE IT!!!! BUT PROBABLY MY OWN BEES

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 11:43:53 pm »
If they were your own bees and you didn't catch them in the trap. they would have no longer been your bees. take  the blessing and multiplie. I have yet to get a swarm from my own hives. I split hives that are just at the stage of swarming. inspecting in the spring is the most busiest time of the year besides collection time.

John

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:52 pm »
I GOT ANOTHER SWARM TODAY EHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH A BIG ONE TOO

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
Gotta love it!!  So glad we have abundant ferrel hives down here. Makes spring so much more fun.  Go set them traps right back out after hiving them and get ya some more.
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:11:25 pm »
IT WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »
What type trap?  The cardboard bucket?
Bailey

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 12:24:48 am »
THIS SWARM FOUND MY 10 FRAME DEEP SITTING ON 2 SAWHORSES BESIDE ANOTHER 10 FRAME DEEP THAT I PUT MY OTHER SWARM IN.  I WILL PUT ANOTHER BESIDE THOSE 2 NOW. I HAVE 2 OF THE TREE KNOTHOLE SWARM TRAPS CLOSE BY ( 75 FEET AND 10 FEET) THE 10 FEET CAUGHT THE FIRST SWARM. THEY MIGHT WERE MY BEES TO START WITH.......BUT NOW THEY ARE HAPPILY MINE.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06:50 am »
I placed an eight frame deep beside the new swarm this morning and freshened my swarm lure on all of traps. looking for # 3 !!!!!! I do have a neighbor about 150 yards away from my yard with two hives that I can see from the road. I like him alot!!!!!     BUT is that bad of me?????

anything