Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sub-freezing Temps  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sub-freezing Temps
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 09:44:30 am »
Oh man Brian, if you got mono, isn't it a shame that it wasn't initiated by the kiss of a girl (LOL).

This extreme difference in weather like you speak about in Japan and Thailand are almost unimaginable.  But ya, this is so.

I still can't get over the fact that someone else in another part of the world can be a day ahead or behind me, or is having summer when we have winter.  Ha, too weird to even spend time thinking about.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 07:44:03 pm »
We have had temps for the past week in the negative digits. Most nights this past week have been around -15 or so. The bees have been fine. Wish the chickens were the same. Went out this morning and found my heat lamps had gone out. There were some nasty cases of frostbite. I really felt sorry for them.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:59 pm »
thomashton.  What do you do with your poor chickens when they get frostbite?  that sounds like it would be a horrible thing and they might lose part of their feet?  Curious.  We got pretty cold, a few degreees below 0 celsius, I was pretty worried about them being too cold, but I think that they are OK. 

What did you see to ascertain that it was frostbite?  I would like to know in case I ever encounter that issue.  Hope things go well with the chickens.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:09 am »
We have had winters here where our chickens were afflicted with frostbite. Usually it's seem to show up on their combs. Never seen it on their feet. The parts that are frostbitten usually just dry up and wither away and don't grow back. They look like wounds from Foxes which also happen with lamentable frequency here. Just an endless battle with those creatures.