Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre Hive Questions  (Read 5191 times)

Offline COG

• New Bee
Warre Hive Questions
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:52 am »
Hello,

I'm a new Warre Beekeeper, I now have 3 hives. I only really wanted two but my first hive had other plans for me! I've done plenty of study on this hive but I'm starting to think that the books dont follow reality. With my first hive I trapped the swarm in April a small 3 lb bunch. I added the two lower boxes before the heavy spring flow but they only used the top two boxes before swarming. I'm aware that I can help them move down by moving some comb down. I'll admit I was late on that and I'm sure that's why they swarmed. They threw off about an 8-10 lb swarm that I recovered and rehived. My question with this group is now they are in a 2 box Warre hive the top is almost full and I noticed today they were starting in the 2nd box. Should I add the 3rd box now as they start the 2nd or let them get half way or so in the 2nd box? these girls were rehived on 7-8-12

My 2nd hive is a swarm I trapped on 7-3-12, they were about a 5lb swarm. They are also in a 2 box Warre and they have the top almost full and are not really looking that interested in the bottom box. Now I'm not sure if I should just add a box or move comb down or both? Considering my history!

So that's my story, I'm hoping there are some seasoned Warre people out there that have had similar issues and will talk about how they dealt with them.

Thank You,
COG

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
Re: Warre Hive Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:28:22 pm »
I'm a total newbee myself, my first hive is also a Warre'. My bees pretty much completely built up the top box before even starting on the lower box at all. I added a third box earlier this week, albeit I added it to the top like a super. The box I added would qualify as a modified Warre', as it is deeper than standard and has foundationless frames.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »
I always try to have a completely empty bottom box on my Warre hive.  More because they can build a box out real quick with a good flow.   But keep in mind if there is not a good flow and the weather not cooperative,  they won't build comb.   I would not move combs down.  When they are ready they will build more.    My Warre is at 5 boxes and they have gone through spurts of not building comb to building a full box in a few days.   Make sure they have space and let them do what they do best.   Space is not a definite swarm preventer,  so I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to determine why they swarmed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
...I'm starting to think that the books dont follow reality.

Trouble is, bees don't read well and every colony acts a bit differently.   :-D

Have fun!

Offline COG

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:36 am »
Thanks for the info everyone.

I think at this point I will just make sure they have an empty box and let them decide when to move. If I have a colony that really doesn't want to move down I may try adding to the top.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:17:57 am »
IMO...
I wouldn't give too much room.  I makes it more difficult for the bees to manage intruders and temperatures.  Let them fill what they have.  As long as they are not honey bound, they will be fine.

Have fun!

anything