Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extracting Honey Video-July 11, 2010  (Read 6845 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Extracting Honey Video-July 11, 2010
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:06:49 pm »
I made this video for those who would like to see how I extract honey from beginning to end. I use a Maxant uncapping planer, an uncapping tub, a twenty frame motorized Maxant extractor and a solar wax melter from Brushy Mountain I purchased for eighty five bucks.

Worth noting is that my super frames are drawn out on black Pierco foundation.

No chickens were harmed during the making of this video.  :-D

...JP

Extracting Honey Video
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Extracting Honey Video-July 11, 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:42 pm »
VERY NICE !!!. I see that you used the secret weapon to wrap up the process. The famous umbrella.  :-D

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:44 am »
jp, i have some honey for you to taste.man its the best i ever tasted.it has a orange tint to it.   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:49 am »
I don't know about that honey Schawee. "A friend" said it had a little bit of a funny taste to it, but sure made his breath good and fresh for at least two days.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:57 am »
Very cool, thanks for the video.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:38 am »
Thanks JP.

I know they say a dog's mouth is cleaner than a humans (I don't know how considering WHERE they lick), but the dog licking the honey spigot ........ ewwwwww.  :-D

Jay

p.s. love your Buff Orpingtons!

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:54:05 am »
Now you've done it JP, I want a uncapping planner plus I want a new extractor for next year. :-D  Hint, Hint.  BTW you have some nice dark honey mine come out really light but the wife and everyone loves it
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »
Thanks, JP.  Good video for the folks that have yet to produced their first extracted harvest....like  me.   :-D 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »
Do you like that Maxant uncapping planer better than an electric knife?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »
Man that's a nice extractor! You must be gettin' that "high dollar" for removals. :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »
Thanks JP.

I know they say a dog's mouth is cleaner than a humans (I don't know how considering WHERE they lick), but the dog licking the honey spigot ........ ewwwwww.  :-D

I must have missed something. Didn't see this and I watched it twice.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:15 am »
That was lots of fun to watch. Quite a big operation you have there JP and it all works so smoothly. Ever get Liz in there to help you with the extracting?  (my guess is NO!!)

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 12:05:43 am »
It is in the lower right of the screen from 0:23 to 0:30. He looks like a Jack Russel or Rat Terrier.

Jay

Thanks JP.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:24 am »
OH thats a good one :-D :-D :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:41 am »
It is in the lower right of the screen from 0:23 to 0:30. He looks like a Jack Russel or Rat Terrier.

Jay

Thanks JP.

Now Jay, you're suppose to be watching the extraction!  :-D Boy you have some keen eyes brother, let me tell you. Yes, he's a rat terrier and no I don't ordinarily let him do that! He snuck in and took his keep!

Allen, I love the planer much, much better than an uncapping knife.

Annette, Liz helps out with the honey operation when she has an inkling. Like last season!

...JP

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:40:08 am »
What a nice video, JP.  You are always so generous - and here you go again with that wonderful generosity, sharing what you know with all of us.

Linda T

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 12:48:36 am »
Thanks Linda! I really love your videos BTW and really enjoyed your presentation in West Palm Beach.

...JP

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 03:01:09 am »
nice video!  I had never seen an electrical capping knife in action before I saw this video. Cool gadget!

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 08:36:01 am »
Now Jay, you're suppose to be watching the extraction!

Oh I did JP. So much so I now have extractor envy!  :-D

Nice job on the video. Again!

Not to hijack this thread, but are extractors like boats? Seems like you never have a large enough one, and are constantly up-sizing? With a couple of hives I thought a two frame tangential extractor and a comb scratcher would be enough. Now I have 6 hives with another 4 coming on. I went from 8 supers to 20 and am going to buy some more. Now I am wondering how I am going to extract that much honey with a two frame tangential.

Is there a sweet spot in extractor capacity that will handle a smaller range of hives?

Thx,

Jay

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:01 am »
Eivindm, first off, let me thank you for the fine work you do putting the member's location maps together. Fine job!

Every now and again there are threads that mention uncapping knives and planers. I figured it a good time to make a video since I own the planer and think it does a brilliant job.

Jay, I hear the 9 frame is pretty sweet as well.

...JP

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 09:36:17 am »
JP.
Thanks again, after watching the video for the 10th time, this time with the better half, I think you have sparked an interest in her. She has been non committal up to this point, that video really helped open her eyes. Thank you sir. 8-)
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:57 am »
JP.
Thanks again, after watching the video for the 10th time, this time with the better half, I think you have sparked an interest in her. She has been non committal up to this point, that video really helped open her eyes. Thank you sir. 8-)

So which part has she been non committal about?

...JP

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:23 am »
JP.

So which part has she been non committal about?

...JP

All of it. She bought my first hive for me, ( and said she better not get stung ) we haven't installed any bees yet, as I felt I needed to read a lot more and learn all I can, to avoid some of the problems I read about here. When she saw the extraction method, the lack of mess, and all those bottles of honey, her eyes lit up. Not sure she will tend the hives with me, but as she said after watching you, " I can help with that part.." so this is a good start.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:59 am »
A good friend of mine (you know who you are!  :-D ) when he got started, his wife was somewhat reluctant with the notion of keeping bees.

After he harvested a bunch of honey and was having a hard time keeping up with the demand for his honey, his wife made a most profound statement to him. A statement any bee keeping man would love to hear!

"Honey, we need more hives!"  :-D

...JP