Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: take over  (Read 1359 times)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
take over
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:56 pm »
can someone describe a take over by africans.
think this is one. it seams to be a orentation flight but it goes on for over 3 hours

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: take over
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:28:59 pm »
It should appear more like robbing with some fighting. d2

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:51 pm »
Dr. Mangum described usurpation swarms at a seminar I went to recently... he had video of it. The queen was balled by a mass of bees a little smaller than your fist. They lit near an occupied hive then moved in and installed the queen. These were Italian mutts, here in VA.

Not sure if that's what you're getting at, but it was an amazing thing to see.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:03 pm »
Maggiesdad,
I saw the same presentation here in N FL. The usurpation looks like a swarm moving into a hive. The bees land like a swarm and then move in.
It does sound more like robbing. In the initial stages, look for bees fighting, often 2 bees falling to the ground together. Later after they kill the queen and break the morale of the home bees and are free to rob it out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:29:06 am »
>can someone describe a take over by africans.

I haven't seen one by AHB but I have seen one by EHB.  First the one hive swarmed out and about the time it looked like it was going to settle in the tree some of them started going to a different hive.  One with bees in it.  Fighting broke out on the landing board.  After some struggle the swarm moved into that hive.  During the whole time there was the typical "tornado" of bees in the air until they moved in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:42:12 am »
yes Mike looks like a orentation flight went on for 3 hours. after dark all went inside.

then today. they are, since sunrise still churning

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 09:47:18 am »
We were just leaving for a bee conference, so I have to admit I did not watch it a lot after that.  I would watch for changes in temperament.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything