Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen Question?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Pollen Question?
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:16 am »
After a bit reading on the benefits of pollen I found out that pollen in it's current form is not digestible and would have to be processed to make it digestible. Just want some comments from you guys on the subject. Been grinding mine in a coffee grinder to eat in my oatmeal every morning. :) It is amazing how many vitamins and minerals are in that stuff!
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pollen Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:22 am »
Fermentation into bee bread is the best thing to make it digestible.  My guess is for humans it is somewhat digestible without fermentation, but not nearly as much as bee bread.  You could, I suppose ferment it yourself by inoculating it with some bee bread from the hive and letting it ferment... but the stuff in the bee colony is probably the best bet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:46 pm »
Fermentation into bee bread is the best thing to make it digestible.  My guess is for humans it is somewhat digestible without fermentation, but not nearly as much as bee bread.  You could, I suppose ferment it yourself by inoculating it with some bee bread from the hive and letting it ferment... but the stuff in the bee colony is probably the best bet.

Thanks for the response Michael and I just googled bee bread to understand the term and it is pretty interesting how they make it ready for their own consumption. My daughter is allergic to pollen and every spring she has to deal with it. She took a few granules and reacted to it for a couple days but thinks if she takes it little at a time her body may create an immunity to it. I can eat table spoons myself and no problems.
Blanc
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline riskybizz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:11 pm »
Increasing Absorption

To increase the absorption rate of bee pollen, Dr. Cherbuliez recommends soaking the pollen granules in water or orange juice to break down the shell encasing the pollen. Generally, this process takes 10 to 12 hours. Without soaking, Dr. Cherbuliez reports that only 2 to 7 percent of the pollen is absorbed by the digestive system, but after soaking, nearly 90 percent of the pollen can be absorbed by the body.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:08 am »
Increasing Absorption

To increase the absorption rate of bee pollen, Dr. Cherbuliez recommends soaking the pollen granules in water or orange juice to break down the shell encasing the pollen. Generally, this process takes 10 to 12 hours. Without soaking, Dr. Cherbuliez reports that only 2 to 7 percent of the pollen is absorbed by the digestive system, but after soaking, nearly 90 percent of the pollen can be absorbed by the body.

Pretty interesting and easy to do. Have some soaking in water overnight being I don't drink orange juice. Thx for the comment and appreciate your comment.
Blanc

anything