Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A very basic question  (Read 2516 times)

Offline windfan

• Brood
A very basic question
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:41:15 am »
Will displaced bees take up residence in another hive if they are released far away from their hive and close to another one? Will the bees in the second hive allow this?
Thanks.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: A very basic question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:55:10 am »
Will displaced bees take up residence in another hive if they are released far away from their hive and close to another one? Will the bees in the second hive allow this?
Thanks.

Drifing between hives in close proximity to each other is quite common, however the further apart the bee hives are the less like drifting is to occur.  However, if one hive is moved to a new location any bees returning to that hive will eventually go to another hive that is relatively close by.  Outsides are usually viewed as interlopers (robbers) but if they show up with pollen or nectar will usually be let into a hive.

You can a complete frame of bees from one hive and place it in another with little or now problem as bees inside the hive are assumed to belong there, as long as it is done with only 1 or 2f rames at a time.  The more hives you pull frames from the more confused the bees are and the more likely there will be not fighting between the bees...good to know when doing splits as you can pull frames from several hives to make a strong split.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:14:51 am »
>Will displaced bees take up residence in another hive if they are released far away from their hive and close to another one?

Yes.

> Will the bees in the second hive allow this?

Yes.  Robbers come in with an attitude.  Homeless bees come in with humility.  Guard bees know the difference.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:14:34 am »
>Will displaced bees take up residence in another hive if they are released far away from their hive and close to another one?

Yes.

Yes.  Robbers come in with an attitude.  Homeless bees come in with humility.  Guard bees know the difference.

That is so beautiful MB, and just what I experienced when I shook out my laying worker hive onto the ground and removed their supers. They were accepted into my other hive very easily. I was truly amazed at how they were allowed into the other hive so quickly with no fighting. I also figured they just knew that these were homeless bees and needed help. If I can be as good as my bees, I will become a better person.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:35:52 pm »

Yes.

That is so beautiful MB, and just what I experienced when I shook out my laying worker hive onto the ground and removed their supers. They were accepted into my other hive very easily. I was truly amazed at how they were allowed into the other hive so quickly with no fighting. I also figured they just knew that these were homeless bees and needed help. If I can be as good as my bees, I will become a better person.

That is so true of us all.  Just think what we could then accomplish.

anything