Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: always hide your bees..  (Read 8701 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
always hide your bees..
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:42:46 pm »
Never let anyone know you keep bees, especially your neighbors.  I moved my hives to avoid an ordinance being drafted because of her complaints.  I live next door to the one lady that has a problem with bees.  Ill try to get some footage tomorrow of the bizarre woman playing bee tennis with an electric fly swatter.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: always hide your bees..
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:50:43 pm »
If it is any consolation, she will wear out before she does you any real damage.  She is probably getting mostly wasps this time of year anyway.  I know it is aggravating.  I don't keep my bees in  town but my pickup always ends up with some syrup or honey on the bed and I attract wasps and am becoming a seasonal pariah.  I wash it off religiously but once the wasps zero in, you are the first place they look.  Minimize your grief by not leaving anything attractive to wasps out.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
My neighbors are my best customers, in both honey and vegetables. 

Offline Hyper.Intelligent.Fish

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:33 am »
Grandad and I had to move a hive after the neighbours built a pool and started complaining about the drowning bees.

They then had the nerve to complain that they didn't like pure honey; it was too sweet and it crystalised.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »
One of my neighbors found out I had bees and ask if I would have any with comb, this was before I ever got any honey, and went ahead and paid for 1/2 gal with comb so he would be the first to have some.  I made appr. 17 gal of honey this year and only got to keep 2 quarts for myself.  Still have people wanting more.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:15 pm »
I agree w/ duck here.  I had nearly the same situation but they were getting stung b/c their little rugrat kids kept climbing the fence and squirting the hives with super soakers. 
If I had to do it over again I would hide my hives and not let anyone know I kept bees at my residence.  I would sell my honey and let everyone know I was a beek but not let them know where I kept them at.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
They then had the nerve to complain that they didn't like pure honey; it was too sweet and it crystalised.

Dang, and I thought all the screwballs were here in the states.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:05 pm »
I put a couple hives on the roof of my restaurant, in the heart of town, and the local paper did an article about it. I was waiting for the fallout, but it never happened. Maybe because I cook their food!  :-D

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:40:37 am »
I sure don't flaunt them, but my neighbors LOVE my bees!!!  Bumper crops for ALL of them with mango, avacado, papaya, bananas, etc!  They may not want to 'play' with my bees, but are appreciative they are here!  I even have a next door neighbor selling her house...she makes sure she shows them my Apiary!  She says she wants them to know they are here... It's been interesting to hear the replys!!  Everything from PERFECT!!!  to Oh Hell no!!!  Helps keep the Rif Raff out... :-D

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
Where I live, My bees are my first line of defense from intruders!..Even the dogs now realize they are out of a job!..(its great bein in the country not having to deal with nabors tho!)
your friend,
john

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »
Mine are twenty feet out my front door all in a line right by the road. I refuse to hide them and if anyone has a problem then it all on them. I recently had an idiot code enforcement deputy in the yard bitching and moaning and I backed him down real quick like reminding him that I'm in the county and not the city and if he was to contest my argricultural zoning I'll see him at the next meeting with an attorney.
I'm a funny old backwoods Alabama cuss. I've bought and paid for every square inch I'm living on and I'll be darned if some ahole will tell me what I can and can do on my own property, I'll burn it to the ground before I let that happen.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:09:21 pm »
I keep most of my bees on a farm in the country, zoned ag, and nobody bothers me.  For all the complaining people do about the Feds encroaching upon our freedoms, it’s really an eye opener to read the local ordinances that the Cities come up with!  In my local little town, just about everything a normal person would think of doing violates some ordinance.  In my town, you need a permit to have a garage sale and a license for your bicycle!  Don’t even think about burning anything or repairing anything  ;)

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 11:14:49 pm »
My city limits are so screw ball, I don't think the cops even understand where they are.  I haven't been able to find any ordinance against beekeeping in my area and there is just no way I can hide my hives where I live.  I doubt I have too much trouble though, I might just have to pay off my neighbors with honey.

I do have a friend who is absolutely terrified of bees though, she's agreed to let me use her property for up to 6 hives though.... Weird.
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19:04 am »
Back home in Alabama I had neighbor complain once, by the end of that summer her place had a for sale sign on it.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:44:22 pm »
I keep bees in Florida and new state laws supersede local laws codes and what not for registered beeks. With all that being said, I keep bees and don't tell my neighbors and keep the hives out of sight. I have plenty of room (greenbelts and tons of empty lots) and make sure the hives aren't seen from the front yard. I've seen plenty of articles about bee vandalism with everything from stolen hives to poison sprayed hives, not in a hurry to give locations of out-yards to anyone. I keep the hives around my house to nucs, queen building and such, but again, I'm not in any hurry to let my neighbors in on my secret anytime soon. In my experience, interested nosy and noisy neighbors simply make life harder.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:48 pm »
I have never had a problem.   During the summer we have people come pick blueberries (pick your own farm)  and they all want honey also.  Those white hives are the best advertising one can have. 

Offline codeboy

• New Bee
    • Beeginnings

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 03:10:31 pm »
Personally I think the complainers need to be given something to really complain about, like a good old fashioned horse whipping.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:19:45 pm »
Here in Georgia, we have a nice little law that protects us and lets up keep our bees anywhere. 

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 08:30:51 pm »
Personally I think the complainers need to be given something to really complain about...

David, remember some people would be unhappy if you was to hang um with a new rope. :-D :-D